last known good changed the computer name
I had 2008 server running for several weeks and I had a problem adding an app. The app I was installing was LiveVault backup client for 2008 64bit(so no backup yet). When I booted to last known good it changed the computer name for this computer. When the name changed security broke for just about everything. This computer is the Forest root / Global Catalog / DNS /DHCP /everything domain controller. This is a two server domain now, this server 2008 R2 64bit and a 2003 32bit. The 2003 server was DC in a one server domain. On the 2003 server I did the dcpromo to dump the old domain then joined the new domain and did the dcpromo to have a second dc in the new domain. This was before the 2008 server name change. Now the 2003 server can't dcpromo out and won't "last server" dcpromo. It is "unwilling to process request". I used regedit to change the name back for the 2008 server and have some access back now but security with several apps and other computers is broken. Any reason why it changed name of the DC? How do I get security working again? I did upload MPS report per Brent Hu on 9/24. Can you tell me if anything has been found out?
October 15th, 2010 12:40pm

Hi, I'm not sure that we're going to be able to tell you how the computer name got changed when you booted to last known good. My best guess is that you had some underlying problems in the registry that had resulted in bad data in ControlSet001 and ControlSet002. DCPromo on your 2003 server is failing becuase it's trying to contact the 2008 R2 DC to replicate any remaining changes off, and failing that operation. You can work around that by doing dcpromo /forceremoval on the 2003 DC. This will override the check and allow DCPromo to proceed, but you run the risk of losing any data that hasn't been replicated. To fix the 2008 R2 DC, we're going to need to get more information from the system, which we can't really do via the forums. The best option is to get you on the phone with one of our engineers so that we can do some active troubleshooting and try to get the server functional again. If you have a support contract with us, just contact your TAM to get the case set up. If you don't have a support contract, then this link details the various options that are available: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone David Beach - Microsoft Online Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 20th, 2010 1:16pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics