kindly let me know what is difference between clustering and vmotion
kindly let me know what is difference between clustering and vmotion e.g I have VMware \ HyperV host EXSI box what is difference between VM clustering and V motion? again V motion will happen with in host or another host if another host means clustering between 2 host I am right? kindly help me to understand BASIC difference between clustering and V motion or live migration etc?
August 20th, 2015 10:52pm

kindly let me know what is difference between clustering and vmotion e.g I have VMware \ HyperV host EXSI box what is difference between VM clustering and V motion? again V motion will happen with in host or another host if another host means clustering between 2 host I am right? kindly help me to understand BASIC difference between clustering and V motion or live migration etc?
With vMotion (called "Live Migration" in our Universe as we're Microsoft ppl here, vMotion is VMware spell word) you have just ONE instance of virtual machine running on particular physical host. You can move VM from one physical host to other non-disruptively and whole VM (memory dump, CPU register file, virtual hardware finite state machines settings, underlying storage etc) would be copied (for disk if shared storage is used virtual disk copy does not happen). With failover clustering you have TWO (or more) instances of VMs running and they are either splitting the load between them (active-active cluster) with some kind of load-balancer or one VM keeps working and others are choking with peanuts and wait for failover to happen (active-passive cluster). That's main difference. 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 21st, 2015 9:07am

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

I went to TechNet and searched for "live migration overview'.  The first thing it returned was this TechNet article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831435.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396  Plus several more.

I went to TechNet and searched for "failover clustering overview".  The first thing it returned was this TechNet article - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831579.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396  Plus several more.

August 21st, 2015 1:55pm

give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime

I went to TechNet and searched for "live migration overview'.  The first thing it returned was this TechNet article -

[ ... ]

These are the words of wisdom!

Indeed Google (or Bing) is OP's friend. 

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 22nd, 2015 2:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics