kill a service / PID on remote server using ps tools?
hi all, I have used ps tools to connect to another server and open the command prompt. I am just wondering if there is a way to display a list of services / task / PIDs running on the remote server from the command prompt? I need to stop something running on the remote server. Thanks
September 17th, 2012 5:38am

Yes: pslist and/or pskill http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/sysinternals/bb795533Don (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable. This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 17th, 2012 5:47am

ok thanks, do I need to install anything on the destination server? or can it be done from the source server? how do I use ps list? would it be pslist \\computername
September 17th, 2012 6:01am

You don't have to install anything on destination server, pslist can be used from any source machine. Here are switches for pslist pslist exp would show statistics for all the processes that start with "exp", which would include Explorer. -d Show thread detail. -m Show memory detail. -x Show processes, memory information and threads. -t Show process tree. -s [n] Run in task-manager mode, for optional seconds specified. Press Escape to abort. -r n Task-manager mode refresh rate in seconds (default is 1). \\computer Instead of showing process information for the local system,PsList will show information for the NT/Win2K system specified. Include the -u switch with a username and password to login to the remote system if your security credentials do not permit you to obtain performance counter information from the remote system. -u username If you want to kill a process on a remote system and the account you are executing in does not have administrative privileges on the remote system then you must login as an administrator using this command-line option. If you do not include the password with the -p option then PsList will prompt you for the password without echoing your input to the display. -p password This option lets you specify the login password on the command line so that you can use PsList from batch files. If you specify an account name and omit the -p option PsListprompts you interactively for a password. name Show information about processes that begin with the name specified. -e Exact match the process name. pid Instead of listing all the running processes in the system, this parameter narrows PsList's scan to tthe process that has the specified PID. Thus: pslist 53 would dump statistics for the process with the PID 53. Regards,Santosh I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.
September 17th, 2012 6:27am

ok thank you, is pslist part of ps tools? or do I need to download anything else?
September 17th, 2012 6:38am

sorry that was a silly question! iv found it
September 17th, 2012 6:39am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics