joining computer to domain
Hi I install Win7 in first computer. In second computer, I install Srver2008 and domain I want to join first computer(win7) to domain My DNS is set to " 127.0.0.1" my domain name is "contoso.com"... I select computer name -->change-->domain, When I type "contoso.com", an erorr message appear: ...domain"contoso.com"could not contacted... Ensure that domain name is typed correctly When I type "contoso" without .com I can connect to domain. then windows of username and password appear, but when I enter the username and password, an error message reveal: "an attempt to resolve the dns name of a dc in the domain being joined has failed.Please verify this client is configured to reach a DNS server that can resolve DNS name in the target domain"..
February 21st, 2011 9:22am

Change on your client DNS server IP from 127.0.0.1 to IP of Windows Server 2008 :) YOu can connect using CONTOSO because it uses NetBIOS for that instead of DNS When you change this DNS IP on your client, you will be able to add it using CONTOSO.COM @update: For more convenient client management way, configure DHCP server on your server to issue IP lease automatically. Configure there these options: 003 -> Default Gateway (router's IP) 006 -> internal DNS servers (your DC) 015 -> DNS domain name (FQDN; CONTOSO.COM) On your DNS server configure forwarders to allow users accessing the Internet. Use your ISP IP DNS address or any openDNS like Google (8.8.4.4 or 8.8.8.8) Regards, Krzysztof
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 21st, 2011 9:28am

please point your client to the dns server ip address and also post the ipconfig /all of the client http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 21st, 2011 10:00am

Hello, the workstation must use the domain DNS server ip address and not itself, what you have done with the loopback ip address 127.0.0.1. Additional poost an unedited ipconfig /all from the DC/DNS and your problem client, so we can verfiy some other basic settings also.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
February 21st, 2011 12:20pm

Thanks alot I joined computer to domain successfully.. a related question: after joining computer to domain: when type ping IPAddress, I can connect to computer. But when I type ping ComputerName, I saw in cmd: reply from fe80::9533:a6ce:38e1:e6dc%11: time<1ms reply from fe80::9533:a6ce:38e1:e6dc%11: time<1ms reply from fe80::9533:a6ce:38e1:e6dc%11: time<1ms reply from fe80::9533:a6ce:38e1:e6dc%11: time<1ms instead of reply from IPAddressv4 bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128 why I always encounter such these promlems. Sometimes these problems would solve randomly :)
February 21st, 2011 2:57pm

yes this means that your servers ipv6 address is registered in the dns and when your are tryinng to ping using hostname its resolving the ipv6 address from your dns server. To resolve the issue go to your dns server and delete the ipv6 record from there. http://www.virmansec.com/blogs/skhairuddin
February 21st, 2011 3:08pm

yeah and you can also remove IPv6 check box from TCP/IP settings if you are not using it. so it will not create HOST (AAAA) record for it in future.
February 21st, 2011 4:14pm

You can also disable IPv6 components in Windows registry according to this MS article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852Regards, Krzysztof
February 22nd, 2011 1:23am

I removeed IPv6 check box from TCP/IP setting , but it didn't work! Also I used registry, but I didn't see eny effect!
February 22nd, 2011 6:03am

I remove IPv6 check box , but it dosn't work!
February 22nd, 2011 6:04am

Hello, as said before, please post an unedited ipconfig /all from the Windows 7 machine and the DC/DNS server.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
February 22nd, 2011 10:58pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics