joining a windows 2003 server from a windows xp pro pc
I am trying to join my in-house network. I have a new pc windows xp professional and I'm not quite understanding howto install to my windows 2003 server . I haveadministrative access to the server.the computer I am swapping has a domain: MidstatesRe.local but when I try to change the new pc to that it gives me the following error:The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain MidstatesRe.local: The error was: "DNS name does not exist."(error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR) The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MidstatesRe.local Common causes of this error include the following: - The DNS SRV record is not registered in DNS. - One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone: MidstatesRe.locallocal. (the root zone)
October 30th, 2009 9:06pm

HiPlease run the DCdiag /fix and netdiag /fix to resolve this issue/Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2009 11:43pm

Hi, Please first try Devas suggestion. If the issue persists, you need to ensure that the Windows Server is configured with a DNS server that has the same IP address as the Domain controller running DNS for MidstatesRe.local. Let us check the following settings: 1. What is the IP address of your domain controller? 2. What DNS Server are your clients configured to use? 3. If they are same, please run NSLOOKUP in CMD windows and see if your DNS will reply back. 4. Shutdown the firewall on the server and the clients 5. Verify the SRV DNS records on DC: How to verify that SRV DNS records have been created for a domain controller http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816587 6. Run Dnscmd /enumzones on DC The following article has some useful information: DNS error when you add a Windows XP-based computer to a Small Business Server 2000 domain http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/331072/en-us If the problem continues, please paste the output of the above commands. Regards, Bruce
November 2nd, 2009 1:53pm

HiAny update on this issue?Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 4th, 2009 8:46am

Hi There,Further to the suggestions, if the problem didnt get resolved , please do send us the unedited ipconfig /all from the client and the server also the nslookup info
November 4th, 2009 10:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics