issue joining the domain from XP vista client
Hi Got an issue since we have upgraded our Active Directory DC's, DNS and DHCP to windows 2008. I think the problem is to do with DNS but want a second opinion and more importantly how to fix it. Previously when we had 2003 servers, when we wanted to join a XP, vista client to the domain we could just type in the domainname when joining the computer, our domain name is queensbridge but it now seems we have to type in the alternative domain name that was given to us when the domain was created which is queensbridge.pri. When we type in queensbridge and press return we receive the following error message: "The following error occured when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain queensbridge: The error was "DNS name does not exist" RCODE_NAME_ERROR I have also included an attachment of the error message. It seems like a DNS issue but am not sure how to resolve it. Do I just need to register the DNS SRV record for it to work? Have other members seen this problem before and provide any tips on how to sort Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
November 30th, 2009 9:53pm

Hi ,Thank you for posting in windows server forums, Can you please tell us how is your SRV record registered in DNS ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 1st, 2009 7:52am

Hi Ranjb,Can you try using nslookup to query your domain name on client ?Thana
December 1st, 2009 8:04am

Hi, If I understand correctly, the domain FQDN name is queensbridge.pri and the domain NetBIOS name is queensbridge. The issue is that you encounter the error "DNS name does not exist", when you tried to join the domain by typing the NetBIOS name queensbridge. However, you can join the computer to the domain with the FQDN name queensbridge.pri. The issue may occur if the client attempted to resolve the domain name queensbridge. In that case, the DNS query would fail because the DNS servers in the domain only has the zone named queensbridge.pri but not queensbridge. Actually, it is suggested to use the domain FQDN name when you join client computer to the domain. If there is anything I have misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 1st, 2009 11:30am

HiIf I do a NSlookup on just queensbridge I get the following message.C:\Users\ranj.QUEENSBRIDGE>nslookup queensbridgeServer: kent.queensbridge.priAddress: 10.122.84.57 *** kent.queensbridge.pri can't find queensbridge: Non-existent domainIf I try the same but with queensbridge.pri I get more favourable results as shown below: C:\Users\ranj.QUEENSBRIDGE>nslookup queensbridge.priServer: kent.queensbridge.priAddress: 10.122.84.57 Name: queensbridge.priAddresses: 10.122.84.57 10.122.84.92 10.122.84.51Thanks
December 2nd, 2009 3:56pm

HiHow would I check out the SRV record is correctly configured? Thanks
December 2nd, 2009 3:59pm

Hi, The nslookup result is expected. As I stated earlier, the DNS query failed because the DNS server does not have a zone named queensbridge, Non-existent domain. The DNS records (such as A, SRV, etc.) for the domain are registered in the zone named queensbridge.pri. To verify the SRV records, please refer to the following article: How to verify that SRV DNS records have been created for a domain controller http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816587 If there is anything unclear, please feel free to let me know.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 3rd, 2009 5:02am

Thanks for that What I am unsure on is how do I register a SRV record for queensbridge. Can anyone assist me on how to do this. I assume I need to do this on one of the DNS servers. Can I pick anyone? thanks
December 6th, 2009 1:25pm

Hi, You could try the steps below to create a SRV for queensbridge. If you're using AD-Integrated DNS, you could add the SRV on any of the DNS server. 1. Open DNS console on your DC, right-click queensbridge.pri, choose "New Host (A or AAAA)". 2. In the new Host window, type queensbridge in the Name box, type the IP address of your DC in the IP address box. Click Add Host. Thanks. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
December 8th, 2009 9:37am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics