iscsi initiator freezing Server 2003 Standard SP2 at boot. Corrupt ISCSI initiator?
I recently rebooted our File and Print Server (Dell Power Edge 2950 directly connected to EMC AX100 SAN via iscsi), and the server would freeze during "preparing network connections", or "applying computer settings". The mouse would freeze completly. My only option was to do a hard reboot. I did several hard reboot during various troubleshooting. At one point I waited about 10-15 minutes while the server was frozen, and a BSOD error popped up. 0x0000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x8a216278, 0x8a2163DC, 0x8094c6EA). No dmp files were created.This server is also a Domain Controller, DNS server, Global catalog server.There are 2 NICs on the server, NIC1 is the lan connection so the server can see the rest of the network, NIC 2 1 is ISCSI for the SAN. During troubleshooting I decided to unplug NIC2 connection, the ISCSI connection. I rebooted the machine and it was able to boot up normally.I contacted dell support, and we began to test the ISCSI initiator service. I disabled the ISCSI service, connected the network ISCSI cable back into NIC2...the server booted normally. This pointed us to thinking that ISCSI service is corrupt.We attempted to uninstall ISCSI. The uninstall from add/remove programs would start, however the server froze during uninstall. I was forced to do a hard reboot. I tried to uninstall again with same results.I attempted to install the latest ISCSI initiator service on the server, hoping it would fix the issue. The server would freeze on installtion.At this point I believe our server freezing on boot is due to a corrupt ISCSI service.I need to fix the server and have it boot normally. At this point our work around is that we have set the ISCSI service to manual, and if the server ever needs to be rebooted, we must make sure to log into the server, start the ISCSI service, and all of its dependencies of Net Logon, Distributed File System, Computer Browser, Server. We must then bind the shares manually through ISCSI config tabs.
February 22nd, 2010 8:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics