is it possable to force default printer settings for all documents?
at work we often get the problem that documents send via email by other users within our network domain or document in shared folders keep the printing setting from the last person who printed the document. although settings like orientation are useful to have in the document, all users have their own printer store-box on each printer. and it is not very useful to have the store-box also saved in the document. if a user tries to print it without first changing the settings to select their own store-box, the file is send to the store-box of the last user that printed the file. although it is easy to change the printer settings, it is also easily forgotten, as well as an extra step we feel should not be needed. as such we where wondering if there is a way to make applications in Office always print the document to the default storage location specified in the default printer settings for a user unless they explicitly change the settings before printing the document. Environment: all physical servers run VMWare ESXi with Windows Server 2008 R2 on the virtual servers, three using the dutch version the others English. clients are either Wyse Terminals (model S-10) or HP/Compaq Evo D510 desktops (Windows XP Pro SP3 NL) the printer/copiers are Canon IR-series black/white multi-functional copy stations (I'm not sure on the models)
April 7th, 2012 9:51am

I would have ask here. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverprint/threads Thanks
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2012 12:12pm

Make a new printqueue to test it, and use a older driver maybe. In case it's a bug with a new driver. Like in exemple, for the HP universal driver 5.2 and 5.3 was not ok for a lot of model, because printer option was dissapering and stuff like that. They released 5.4 and resolved all those troubles.MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
April 7th, 2012 4:32pm

Make a new printqueue to test it, and use a older driver maybe. In case it's a bug with a new driver. Like in exemple, for the HP universal driver 5.2 and 5.3 was not ok for a lot of model, because printer option was dissapering and stuff like that. They released 5.4 and resolved all those troubles. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring I'm kinda doubtful that would work, as the problem actually already exists since the printers are used, also with the previous network using four physical Citrix servers using Server 2003 (two using 2003 R2). I am also not allowed to install other drivers, since drivers/hardware are managed by someone else, I would need to request the installation of older drivers on a (temporary) other (virtual) machine in order to try.
April 7th, 2012 6:23pm

I really think that the problem is actualy not on MS's side. Like If I print a document X on the manual feed, then all driver setting I use are in my profile (local or in the TS, depending of where your print job come from) If I print again the same document, the manual feed option I used will be reset the the default value again If I didn't changed the default behavor. If the printer keep the setting from the last user, then the driver change by itselft the default value and not save it in the user profile like it's supposed to do, or the user have to much right on the printqueue. MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
April 7th, 2012 8:57pm

I would ask on canon forum too. The box saved in the document is strange. Does canon offer a universal driver ? MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring
April 8th, 2012 12:48am

I would ask on canon forum too. The box saved in the document is strange. Does canon offer a universal driver ? MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring I do not really know if they are universal drivers, the installation was done by someone else. I am also not quite sure if its saved in the documents itself, but there is some kind of relation between individual documents and the printerbox they have been printed to last, and its only changed it the document is saved again. I also can't find a forum from Canon.
April 8th, 2012 3:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics