ipv6 networking - What is Windows Doing?
I recently began looking at ipv6 addressing. I found out for one thing that placing an ipv6 address on a nic needs to be done manually. After I successfully assigned an ipv6 address to my Win2003 server . I ran ipconfig and found that the address I assigned was there along with about 3 others. Where do these other ipv6 addresses come from and why does Windows create them??
April 20th, 2011 12:03pm

there is a number of things they could be, depending on your network (are routers advertising IPv6 info, is it on the interent and determined a transistion technology should be used, etc, etc). if you want, post the unedited outpurt of "ipconfig /all" . but in a nutshell, IPv6 is a little bit more that just IPv4 with a bigger address space, so you may see 'extra' stuff.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2011 8:04pm

oh and by the way, there is an ipV6 forum which may get a faster response http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ipv6/threads
April 20th, 2011 8:05pm

I also posted this question on a Cisco forum and I think I have the picture. When a cisco router is enabled for ipv6 the network prefix for any applicable interfaces are established when the interface is assigned its ipv6 address. Once activated the interface will respond to any request on the network asking for an ipv6 network prefix. Since Windows asks for address info when it starts it takes the network prefix from the router and combines it with the mac address for a complete ipv6 address. It also adds a link local address. Does this sound about right?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 20th, 2011 9:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics