ipconfig /registerdns only works if DNS entry is deleted first
We have a problem with DNS entries not updating. We have Windows 7 workstations. I've noticed when I run CMD as an administrator then run ipconfig /registerdns the time stamp on the DNS does not update on the DHCP server. It will update if I delete the entry and then run the command, but otherwise it stays the same. Does the update only take place if a change is detected? I've run ipconfig /registerdns on systems were the IP address has changed, but the DNS record hasn't update, but then I've found the IP address still didn't update. I've then deleted the entry and then it gets updated.
June 24th, 2011 12:55pm

You may want to take a look at the security tab on the DNS record(s) in question. If the client does not have permission to update the record, it cannot do so via the update process (assuming a Secure UPdate scenario). For example in the situation where you delete a computer account, then recreate it with the same name, that new computer will not have access to the DNS record. The SID has changed for the computer object. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2011 2:28pm

I'm not deleting the computer account. If I delete the DNS record for the computer on the DNS server then a new one comes up with the correct IP. I'm not sure if the servers automatically pulling the update from somewhere or if the ipconfig /registerdns is working because I deleted the DNS entry for the computer. I'll have to test that out.
June 24th, 2011 2:53pm

Again, check the security tab for the DNS records in question. IF you want the client to be able to update them manually, they must have access to the record itself. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2011 2:59pm

Hi ParalaxView, Thanks for posting here. Is the DNS server in question listed in the DNS servers entries on client side ? how many DNS servers are running in your environment ? Please update the latest entries status by refreshing DNS zone in MMC snap-in first and check the time stamp of entries. Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
June 28th, 2011 4:12am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics