installing windows utility on windows 2008 giving incorrect error.
install Windows Defender and u will get the error stating "You do not need to install this software because Windows Defender is included in Windows Vista. you can access winndows defender fromthe security section of the windows control pannel". install .netfx1.0 and u will get error message "The setup is not supported on 64 bit versionof Windows XP"
March 19th, 2008 5:23pm

Hi, Question #1 ---------------- "Windows Defender" is a component of "Desktop Experience" feature of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista. There is no need to install the software from Microsoft Downloads website. You may enable the feature by installing the "Desktop Experience" feature from Server Manager which is already built in the Windows Server 2008 RTM. How to install "Desktop Experience" feature? 1. Click Start, point to Administrative Tools, and click Server Manager. 2. In the Features Summary section, click Add features. 3. Select the Desktop Experience check box, and then click Next. and then click Install. 4. After installing the "Desktop Experience", you need to restart the computer and then the feature gets enabled. 5. Now you will be able to see the "Windows Defender" in the Start Menu, All Programs. You may also see "Windows Defender" in the "Control Panel" Question #2 ---------------- For the error message you encountered when you attempt to install .net framework 1.0: "The setup is not supported on 64 bit version of Windows XP" I'd like to collect some information as following. 1. Since when you start facing the issue? 2. Are you trying to install .net framework 1.1 or .net framework 1.1 redistributable package? 3. On which operation system did you attempt to install the .net framework 1.1 or .net framework 1.1 redistributable package? Windows Server 2008 64bit or Windows Server 2003 64bit or Windows XP 64bit? 4. Was any third party application installed on the operation system? I have testedand successfully installed .Net Framework 1.1 redistributable package onWindows Server 2008 RTM platform. Hope this helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 20th, 2008 3:34pm

Hey David, i agree what u said. my focus point is the error i am getting it is showing Vista and XP error on win 2008 SBS Server which is on 64 bit. the error shoulddisplay that it is Win 2008 or SBS server.i am installing .net 1.0 which is 22MB
March 21st, 2008 7:08pm

Hi, Since the .NET Framework 1.1 was not originally designed to install on 64-bit operating systems and co-exist with newer versions of the .NET Framework (such as 2.0) that are designed for 64-bit operating systems, some .NET Framework 1.1 installation scenarios ended up not working exactly correctly. I would like to suggest you that uninstall . NET Framework 1.1 first, and then install .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable Package(x64). Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package (x64) http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b44a0000-acf8-4fa1-affb-40e78d788b00&displaylang=en Hope it helps.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 25th, 2008 2:37pm

Thanks David for suggession.
March 27th, 2008 7:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics