installing virtualization sw w/ Windows Server '08 Web Edition?
I'm about to build a box to be used for internal testing and I need to provide both IIS and Apache testing environments. I'd like to be able to install WS08/Web and then install VMWare to provide the Linux/Apache environment on one box.Is it possible to install any applications, in particular, VMWare, on a Web Edition machine or is it a completely closed environment?
April 7th, 2008 4:59pm

You can install applications on top of Windows Web Server 2008. The main difference between Windows Web Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 (Standard, Enterprise and Datacenter) is the inability to install certain roles.For instance: Windows Web Server 2008 cannot be configured as a Domain Controller. You can find more information on roles per edition here.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 7th, 2008 9:13pm

Hello, Windows Web Server 2008 edition is designed specifically for use as a web and applications server. Except Web Services server role, other server roles are not available in this edition. Except for IIS 7.0, Server manager and Server Core, other new and updated features in Windows Server 2008, for example, Hyper-V; NAP (Network Access Protection); Terminal Services Gateway and RemoteApp; WDS (Windows Deployment Services); AD Rights Management Services (RMS) are not available in this edition,either. You could refer to the following site to learn more about the various editions of Windows Server 2008. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/editions.aspx Thanks! Regards, Neo Zhu
April 14th, 2008 8:20am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics