installation of routing and remote access service failed because class not registered (80040154)
hai, I had installed a 2008 server and configured ADDS, DNS and some policies. Everything is working properly for the last 3 months but when i tried to configure NAT and VPN i got an error stating that installation of routing and remote access service failed because class not registered (80040154). i am not able to find a solution for this.How do i fix this problem? Is there any solution for this?i had already tried the following solution but it dosent help.........is there any other solution?Install the role through the Server Manager > Add Roles wizard and choose the Network Policy and Access Services Role. After you choose this role one of the sub-options is Routing and Remote access. Once you have installed it you will be able to go into Computer Management > Services and Applications and enable it.Sreyas
October 23rd, 2008 11:18am

It is not a good idea to install RRAS on a DC. You will have all sorts of problems. See KB292822 for the problems this can cause.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 24th, 2008 9:06am

Hai Bill, Thank you for your reply, but ii dosnt have any other server machine......atleast i want to enableNAT on this machine.So is there any other way?RegardsSreyas
October 24th, 2008 10:14am

Hi Sreyas, I would agree with Bill. Personally, I don't recommend to install RRAS on the same server as DC and DNS. You may encounter potential problems such as the name resolution issues. Regarding this error message, may I know which version of Windows Server 2008 you are running? You can check the version number by checking the C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe to see the Product version on the Details tab of its properties. We do have seen this error on previous versions. However, this bug has been fixed since build 6001.07013. Besides, will you please also take a look at the CBS log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log to see if any error or warning are logged when you try to configure the RRAS? Best regards, Chang Yin
October 28th, 2008 4:17pm

Hi Sreyas, Regarding this error message, may I know which version of Windows Server 2008 you are running? You can check the version number by checking the C:\Windows\System32\ntoskrnl.exe to see the Product version on the Details tab of its properties. We do have seen this error on previous versions. However, this bug has been fixed since build 6001.07013. Besides, will you please also take a look at the CBS log at C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log to see if any error or warning are logged when you try to configure the RRAS? Best regards, Chang Yin Chang Yin, I am getting the same error (Class not registered, 80040154), trying to install & configure RRAS on Server 2008 x64, build 6001.18145. It is not a DC or a DNS server. I don't completely understand everything in the CBS.log but there wasn't anything that looked like an error or warning to me. Every event in the CBS.loghappened prior to configuring RRAS, nothing new was logged at the time I got the error. The server is used for Terminal Services, in case that matters. It is a temporary server while I build the real one, and Terminal Services Licensing is not set up -- it is in the limited-time trial mode.Thanks,bulgie
April 2nd, 2009 7:06am

Sorry to reply to my own question but I just realized I had not added the "Network Policy and Access Services" role to this server yet. Once I did that I was able to install & configure RRAS without error. It occurs to me this may be the cause ofSreyas's problem as well.-bulgie
April 2nd, 2009 8:27am

How do you have VPN on a DC then? I've got one server and I'm needing remote access for employees. How do I go about it then?
September 12th, 2010 11:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics