install windows server 2012 on windows 8 oem
I just purchased a Dell XPS 8500 which comes pre-installed with OEM Windows 8. I installed a new SSD and now want to install Windows Server 2012 on the SSD (effectively dual boot - 2 different hard drives). The install for Windows Server 2012 does not prompt for the product key, instead fails and says "The product key you entered does not match"... This is due to the OEM product key for Windows 8 being tied to the hardware and written in the BIOS. The Server 2012 install sees only the Windows 8 key. I am sure there are/will be several people out there with this same issue. Dell is referring me to Microsoft for support. So far I haven't been able to get an answer. What is the solution?
November 16th, 2012 12:01pm

One solution is to install server 2012 to vhd. Here is a guide how it can be done: http://blogs.technet.com/b/haroldwong/archive/2012/08/18/how-to-create-windows-8-vhd-for-boot-to-vhd-using-simple-easy-to-follow-steps.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 16th, 2012 1:10pm

Thanks. But I am not looking to install a Virtual Hard Disk - I am looking to install on a real life (separate) hard disk that is already installed and ready to go. Are there any boot loader solutions to accomplish this?
November 16th, 2012 5:02pm

Failing any other options I decided to see if I could use the suggested VHD technique on the SSD. To my utter amazement I was actually able to achieve success. There were quite a lot of hoops to jump through, but in the end Windows Server 2012 is on the boot menu when using secure boot. When activating it still read the (incorrect) product key from the BIOS, but it allowed to enter an alternate (correct) product key to complete activation. So far so good... Thanks Henrik!
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 18th, 2012 1:01am

Hi James; I have also bought a new XPS 8500 and when I have tried to install Windows Server 2012 then having the same issue as you had. i.e; The install for Windows Server 2012 does not prompt for the product key, instead fails and says "The product key you entered does not match"... I want to build my lab with Windows Server 2012 hyper-v and now I am stuck. Please help me that how I can install Windows Server 2012 as a dual operating system with Windows 8 (which is preinstalled on xps 8500)? I have also installed 2nd SATA hard drive in the system to install Windows 2012. Thanks, Liaqat
January 5th, 2013 10:37pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics