inplace upgrade of 2005 EE to 2008 r2 EE

Trying to do an inplace upgrade and when I get to the screen to select features, there are only 2 things there and they are grayed out. Here is my summary.txt file. I am not sure what i am missing.

Overall summary:
  Final result:                  User cancelled
  Exit code (Decimal):           -2068380094
  Exit facility code:            1207
  Exit error code:               1602
  Exit message:                  User has cancelled.
  Start time:                    2015-06-24 13:54:56
  End time:                      2015-06-24 13:56:01
  Requested action:              Upgrade

Machine Properties:
  Machine name:                  ROSE-VCENTER
  Machine processor count:       2
  OS version:                    Windows Server 2008
  OS service pack:               Service Pack 1
  OS region:                     United States
  OS language:                   English (United States)
  OS architecture:               x64
  Process architecture:          64 Bit
  OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
  Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered 
  Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        Database Engine Services                 1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        Full-Text Search                         1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL.1                        SharedTools                              1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005                                                          DTS                                      1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005                                                          Tools                                    1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient                              1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005                                                          ToolsClient\Connectivity                 1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        
  Sql Server 2005                                                          NS                                       1033                 Enterprise Edition (64-bit) 9.3.4053        No        

Package properties:
  Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
  SQLProductFamilyCode:          {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}
  ProductName:                   SQL2008
  Type:                          RTM
  Version:                       10
  SPLevel:                       0
  Installation location:         D:\x64\setup\
  Installation edition:          ENTERPRISE

User Input Settings:
  ACTION:                        Upgrade
  AGTDOMAINGROUP:                <empty>
  BROWSERSVCSTARTUPTYPE:         Disabled
  CONFIGURATIONFILE:             
  ERRORREPORTING:                False
  FAILOVERCLUSTERROLLOWNERSHIP:  2
  FTSVCACCOUNT:                  <empty>
  FTSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
  FTUPGRADEOPTION:               Import
  HELP:                          False
  INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
  INSTANCEID:                    <empty>
  INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
  ISSVCACCOUNT:                  NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
  ISSVCPASSWORD:                 *****
  ISSVCSTARTUPTYPE:              Automatic
  MEDIASOURCE:                   D:\
  PID:                           *****
  QUIET:                         False
  QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
  RSCATALOGSERVERINSTANCENAME:   Unknown
  RSUPGRADEDATABASEACCOUNT:      
  RSUPGRADEPASSWORD:             *****
  SQLDOMAINGROUP:                <empty>
  SQMREPORTING:                  False
  X86:                           False

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20150624_135337\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

Scenario specific rules:

Rules report file:               C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20150624_135337\SystemConfigurationCheck_Report.htm

Exception summary:
The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.CancelException
    Stack: 
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.Request.Wait()
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.UserInterfaceProxy.NavigateToWaypoint(String moniker)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.WaypointAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
        at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)

June 24th, 2015 3:01pm

Hello,

The possible cause may be missing Windows Installer cache files.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/969052

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by JoeyTMann 10 hours 57 minutes ago
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 24th, 2015 3:14pm

Ran the Windows Installer cache diag tool, and yeah a number are missing and the action required is machine needs to be rebuilt. if i found them on a different machine could I just copy them over to this one and re-run to see if they are fixed?
June 24th, 2015 3:37pm

Hello,

My recommendation is to put the last service pack or update you installed on that instance on the same folder or path from where you installed it. Do the same with the original media from where you installed the SQL Server instance. If you installed from a DVD, please put the DVD on the DVD drive.

After doing the above, use the script (.VBS) mentioned on the Procedure 1 of the Support article. That script with recreate the missing cache files for you.

Please note that the script also tells you where is expecting to find the installation media and from where you installed the latest service pack/update, in case you dont know.

If you can call Microsoft Support to do this process for you, better, although a server on this state is not supported by Microsoft. They will be doing their best effort.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

June 24th, 2015 3:58pm

Files where from the SP3 install, which was in f:\blahblljsldjsfj\....Ran the installer for SP3 which extracted to e:\blah..... So I copied from E to F and reran the script. Looks like it fixed a bunch concerning SQL. And it looks like that took care of it. Thanks!
June 24th, 2015 4:06pm

Hello,

I am glad for you. I hope you can now upgrade successfully.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
SQLCoffee.com

June 24th, 2015 4:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics