iSCSI Service
Hi, I originally had SharePoint running through iSCSI to my NetApp until we purchased our FCP license. I have since changed the LUN mappings to work through FCP but the SQL service relies on the iSCSI service to start. I believe this is also incorrectly making our VM backup software fail on backing up this particular VM. Is there a way to change this and remove the dependency (or iSCSI altogether) in Windows 2008?? Regards, Terry
June 4th, 2010 6:51am

Hi Terry, We should able to remove the dependence of SQL on iSCSI. In SQL Server, there is a scm.exe tool which can be used to remove the dependence. Meanwhile, you can also remove and then import the [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSSQLSERVER] registry key from a server with SQL server installed but not depend on iSCSI service. This is not test: I suspect that we can also open the Properties dialog of the SQL server service in Service Control Manager and then check whether it depends on iSCSI service. If so, we can just remove the dependence. As for VM Backup software, it may or may not be related to the iSCSI issue. You may need to contact the manufacturer of the backup software to see whether their software has any services which may depends on iSCSI service. Thanks.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 8th, 2010 8:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics