iSCSI Boot Causes Issues with Default Gateway
Hello,I am having issues with routing and default gateways on a new server. I have a very simple setup. I have a 2008 x64 Standard Edition server that uses a dual port Intel PRO PT/1000 NIC to boot from our iSCSI SAN. The SAN it is booting from and both adapters are on the same VLAN (192.168.4.1/24) and thus do not require a gateway to reach each other. In the NIC BootROM setup, each adapter has it's own IP address and the gateway is set to 0.0.0.0 on both adapters. The server boots up from the SAN just fine and without any issues. After this I assigned an IP address, netmask, DNS info, and gateway on one of two Broadcom BCM5708C NetExtreme II NICs and disabled the other. The Broadcom adapter is on another VLAN (192.168.50.1/24) and is the VLAN that I would like ALL non iSCSI traffic to be routed through. However, I am not able to access the Internet due to what appears to be an issue with multiple default gateways. I am able to ping devices on other VLANs but it is going through the SAN VLAN gateway (192.168.4.1) which shouldn't even be set. Running "route print" shows three gateways with 0.0.0.0 source and 0.0.0.0 netmask. One gateway for each SAN VLAN adapter and one for the 192.168.50.1/24 VLAN. I've tried to set the location to Private and also the metric to 1 on the 192.168.50.1/24 VLAN adapter but nothing seems to get rid of the default gateway routes that exist (but shouldn't!!) on the SAN VLANs. Anyone have any other ideas? I need to get this server up and running with only one gateway.Thanks!
March 6th, 2010 1:29am

BUMP!Nobody has any ideas or an offer any insight on this one? Is there something that's not clear that I can better explain?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 17th, 2010 1:57am

Did you ever get an answer to this, I've got the same thing going on. The only solution appears to be delete the routes: route delete 0.0.0.0 and add back in the one that you want. route add ..... you can optionally delete to one route only by route print to find the interface number, then route delete 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 if [answer you got from route print] I'm still looking for the, upgrade to this BIOS or firmware answer. To me the problem is that the firmware based DHCP server in the iSCSI config is responding with a gateway when none in configured.
November 22nd, 2011 11:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics