hyper windows 2012 operating system is free?

hyper windows 2012 operating system is free? and it is equals to VMware EXSI 5.5? how to setup cluster between 2 hyper V host I am looking complete steps videos also appreciated

August 29th, 2015 1:01am

Yes, but you need to ensure you have any required licenses for the VMs you will run (same as with VMware). Step by step here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/12/12/step-by-step-building-a-free-hyper-v-server-2012-cluster-part-1-of-2.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 29th, 2015 6:11am

Yes, but you need to ensure you have any required licenses for the VMs you will run (same as with VMware). Step by step here: http://blogs.technet.com/b/keithmayer/archive/2012/12/12/step-by-step-building-a-free-hyper-v-server-2012-cluster-part-1-of-2.aspx
August 29th, 2015 10:02am

kindly let me know how to setup cluster between 2 host for e.g. each host having 30 vm's  incase if first host fails how first host vms are moving to host 2. second question how to setup cluster between vms of host 1 and host 2 I am looking for complete steps with out screen shoot 
August 29th, 2015 12:07pm

hyper windows 2012 operating system is free? and it is equals to VMware EXSI 5.5? how to setup cluster between 2 hyper V host I am looking complete steps videos also appreciated

Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 is FREE.

Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 (FREE)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2012-r2

"

Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Hyper-V Server 2012 provide a simple and reliable virtualization solution to help organizations improve their server utilization and reduce costs. Hyper-V Server is a stand-alone product that contains only the Windows hypervisor, a Windows Server driver model, and virtualization components. It can fit into customers existing IT environments, and leverage their existing provisioning, management processes, and support tools."

Windows Server 2012 R2 is *NOT*.

Windows Server 2012 R2 Licensing Guide

http://blogs.technet.com/b/canitpro/archive/2014/09/18/understanding-windows-server-2012-r2-licensing.aspx

Good luck :)

August 29th, 2015 3:43pm

Hi Peter, 

do I understand right and you want to configure a VM Guest cluster? 

It works the same like when you cluster physical servers. At first you need to ensure the VMs can reach each other and the responsible Domain Controller and DNS. 

Second you use what ever cluster service your application offers, for example microsoft failover cluster manager. 

Hyper-V Guest Clustering Step-by-Step Guide

I hope that helps. 

Cheers, 

Flo 

August 29th, 2015 9:28pm

so you mean to say there is no difference between hyperv HOST cluster and VM cluster? I think there will be difference in configuration or overall steps
August 30th, 2015 3:43am

Have you actually looked at the free MS Hyper-V Server? You do realize that it has to be managed from the command line (no GUI).
August 30th, 2015 5:57am

honestly i am clear my query only about if there is no difference between hyperv HOST cluster and VM cluster? I think there will be difference in configuration or overall steps
August 30th, 2015 7:11am

Requirements of a host cluster and a VM cluster are very similar.  It is all very well documented in TechNet.  Search for 'Failover Cluster Overview' and 'VM failover cluster overview'.

The only real difference comes in the type of storage available.  You have more options in the physical world.  But, you don't need as many options in the virtual world.  After you have created physical clusters with physical storage, you can used shared VHDX files as the shared storage for VMs, no matter how the storage is presented to the hosts.  VMs can use shared VHDX, iSCSI, SMB 3, and virtual Fibre Channel for shared storage.  Physical can use iSCSI, SMB 3, Fibre Channel, shared SAS.

August 30th, 2015 10:00pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics