hyper v server can't ping or be pinged, even locally, Mgmt tools will not connect. Windows update works great.

I successfully installed Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and installed all required updates from Microsoft update. My Hyper-V server is in a workgroup and will not be in a domain. It has a static IP address and a dns server and gateway set. It seems to work great. I added the corefig utilities just to make life easier and they work. I used a usb drive and plain old windows copy to install them.

As I said, Windows update works great.

My problem.

I can't connect remote management tools to hyper-v server.

I can't ping to or from the hyper-v server. I made sure that the server said I should be able to use ping. I can't ping local or internet sites from hyper-v. Remote access tools can't see hyper-v. I did see hyper-v for an instant from a win 8.1 Hyper-V management console, but then it was gone.

I want to install a pfsense router vm and a windows pc vm once I can get to it. I'll figure out the virtual switches for it later. 

I've tried turning off the server firewall. It made no difference. The corefig utilities have a remote desktop item. I tried it a couple of times. It seemed to auto config so I turned it on and off a couple of times. (no, that didn't cause the problem, it was an attempt at a fix after lots of other trials.)

It's a pretty ordinary network. Hosts file edits should not be necessary because it doesn't seem to be normal for most installs.

How can I fix the connection problem?

Many thanks if you can help me.

• Edited by bob9509 11 hours 4 minutes ago
September 14th, 2015 3:32pm

The default behavior of the Advanced Firewall is to block any traffic that is considered 'public' - in your case that is all traffic.

If the host is joined to a domain, then the domain profile applies.

You need to change your advanced firewall behavior.

I rarely see the 'private' profile actually applied.  And in this case it would probably have to be another machine in the same workgroup.

Control Panel > windows firewall > allowed apps

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 3:49pm

Thanks.  

There are no domains involved.

I tried without firewalls active (management client or server) and it didn't work.

With firewalls active all around, I managed to get a ping out from hyper v server to 8.8.8.8. Didn't work earlier.

On the local network, the hyper-v server is invisible and can't talk to anyone.

Any other ideas?

edit:

I have 1 idea I'll try tomorrow. the pc motherboard has 2 identical intel nics. I have the network wire in nic#2. if I changed nics, would that make a difference. I'll see tomorrow. Any idea if that is a known issue?

As a fallback, i could load Win 8.1 and the router as a VM in Hyper-v under win 8.1. My concern is will the vm still run if the user signs off and the VM was running at the time? Potential big chicken and egg problem. If AOK, can hyper v and router vm start on boot as a service?

• Edited by bob9509 9 hours 54 minutes ago
September 14th, 2015 4:43pm

The default since 2008 R2 is to not respond to ping, regardless of the firewall settings.

So, if ping is your only test, then you must enable it: http://itproctology.blogspot.com/2012/07/enabling-ping-echo-in-server-2012-with.html

September 14th, 2015 4:57pm

No ping is not my only test and it WAS enabled, as I mentioned above.

PS: Please look at edit above re changing entire approach.

Just read that hyper V on Win 8.1 will try to restart running VMs on a reboot automatically. True? 

Hate to use win 8.1 as server manager and waste a day.

Probably try anyway. Pretty slick if it works.

edit:

answered my own question. Saw mgmt selection on hyper-v to start VM if it was running at shut down. For my purposes, win 8.1 as 'server mgr' much better solution than hyper-v server plus 2 VMs. Tomorrow's project. Then lots of testing.

VM will be pfSense router. If successful, PC reboot will always restart router, then PC will connect to network and internet along with rest of network. Otherwise, router never shuts down even if user signs off. PC runs 24/7 otherwise.

PC intended to be router plus light media server, minor file server, and occasional app server using TeamViewer.

• Edited by bob9509 9 hours 20 minutes ago
September 14th, 2015 5:06pm

"For my purposes, win 8.1 as 'server mgr' much better solution than hyper-v server plus 2 VMs."

Interesting conclusion.  It costs more for fewer functions.

If you are going to put Windows Servers up as the VMs, they have to be licensed in either solution - that part costs the same.  Now you add the cost of Windows 8.1 as the host, and you would want to dedicate a desktop operating system to perform the function of a server.

If you put in server-class hardware and run Windows Server Standard with the Hyper-V role enabled, you are granted the right to two virtual instances of Windows Server, and you are running on a real server.  If you need more than two virtual instances of Windows Server, get another Standard license.  If you install the GUI on the physical host, it can be managed with the GUI there.  Otherwise, it is RSAT on the 8.1 desktop.  Of course, you can still use RSAT on the desktop to manage the Windows Server host, just like you would have to do if you used Microsoft Hyper-V Server as the host, but you would have a GUI on the host instead of just command

September 14th, 2015 8:32pm