how to turn on automatic logon using gui in windows 2008
Hi all:Is there any way we can setup automatically logon with gui in windows 2008? I know in xp/2003/visat we can use "control userpasswords2", however, it doesn't work in windows 2008 any more. Also I want to know how to do this using group policy. I can setup automatically logon successfully with changing the registriy ofHKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\AutoAdminLogon/DefaultUserName/DefaultPassword/DefaultDomainName, soI think there should be ways to setup using group policy. Thanks.
December 30th, 2008 12:25pm

Hi, you can do this with the custom ADM template below: CLASSMACHINE CATEGORY!!AutoLog POLICY"SetAutoLogon" KEYNAME"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon" PART!!AutoAdminCHECKBOX VALUENAME"AutoAdminLogon" ENDPART PART!!AutoDisableCADCHECKBOX VALUENAME"disableCAD" ENDPART PART!!AutoForceAutoLogonCHECKBOX VALUENAME"ForceAutoLogon" ENDPART PART!!AutoUserNameEDITTEXT VALUENAME"DefaultUserName" ENDPART PART!!AutoUserPassEDITTEXT VALUENAME"DefaultPassword" ENDPART PART!!AutoDomainNameEDITTEXT VALUENAME"DefaultDomainName" ENDPART ENDPOLICY ENDCATEGORY [strings] AutoLog="SetAutomaticLogonvariables" AutoAdmin="Checkthistoenableautologons" AutoDisableCAD="AndcheckthisitdisableCtrAltDel" AutoForceAutoLogon="Andcheckthistosurvivereboots" AutoUserName="Theuseraccounttouse:" AutoUserPass="Thepasswordtouse:" AutoDomainName="Thedomainnametouse:" Copy the contents of the codeblock below and paste it inside a *.adm file.To use the custom ADM file in the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC)or GroupPolicy Editor (gpedit.msc) and select the Administrative Templates folder, then go to View->Filters and uncheck the box called "Only show policy settings that can be fully managed". Note:The password will be stored *unencrypted* in the registry. This is a potential security hole. Make sure the registry keys you want to set are already present on the machine.. Also make sure the DontDisplayLastUserName value is disabled or not enforced. This settingis a security policy option called "Interactive logon: Do not display last user name".
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 30th, 2008 4:28pm

Thanks, Sander. I can use your scripts. But still want to clarify: so there's no way to do so using GUI? Thank you.
December 31st, 2008 6:33am

Hello,Please refer the link below.http://www.expta.com/2008/04/how-to-enable-autologon-for-windows.htmlSyed Khairuddin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 31st, 2008 12:48pm

Thank you two, Syed and Sander, I now know both these methods. Really help, thanks.
January 2nd, 2009 5:56pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics