how to remove one OS from my PC
i have 2 OS installed my machine: Win7 ultimate win 2008 R2 i have 3 HDD, 1 for win7 ,1 for win2008 ,1 for my Vmachines after installing the win 2008 R2 ,iam facing too much performance issues,too much slow ,compared to what it was win 2008 R2: is super cool ,its runing smooth ,but win 7 start having some startup slowness i know that i need to delete the win2008R2 from the BOOT.ini ,but : 1) should i format that partition ,that contains the win2008 R2 ???????? 2) is there anything missing in what i should do??? 3) also my 3rd HDD,the one that contains the VMachines,, start to appear for the win7 as a External HDD -USB plugged (and its not its a SATA HDD) hope someone can help thanks alot
October 10th, 2010 4:40pm

Doesn't seem right that a non-running OS is slowing your machine unless you ran out of disk space. You can remove entries via bcdedit tool or EasyBcd Boot Configuration Data Editor Frequently Asked Questions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886(WS.10).aspx http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1 Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional -Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 10th, 2010 6:29pm

Hi, I am a bit confused about your description “after installing the win 2008 R2 ,I am facing too much performance issues” and “win 2008 R2: is super cool ,its runing smooth”, seems they are conflicting. From Windows Vista, there is no boot.ini, it’s been replaced with Windows Boot Manager, you can run command “bcdedit /v” to view the system installed on your computer; you can also type “msconfig” in Run to start “System Configuration” window and then navigate to Boot tab to check the boot information. There are two scenarios in your environment: 1. The Windows 7 disk is the first disk(disk 0), if you install Windows Server 2008 R2 after Windows 7 If so, you can perform the following steps: 1.1 Use “bcdedit” command to delete the boot information of Windows Server 2008 R2, you can also run “msconfig” to delete it with GUI. 1.2 Format the Windows Server 2008 R2 disk 1.3 Format the 3<sup>rd</sup> HDD if you don’t need those VMs. 2. The Windows Server 2008 R2 disk is the first disk, if you install Windows 7 after Windows Server 2008 R2 If so, you can perform the following steps: 2.1 Unplug the Windows Server 2008 2.2 Because of the boot information was wrote in the Windows Server 2008 R2 disk, you have to use a Windows 7 installation disk to repair the startup of Windows 7. For more information, you can check the following link. http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-easily-repair-windows-7-boot-problems-using-startup-repair/ 2.3 You can connect the Windows 7 disk to port 1 on the motherboard and connect Windows Server 2008 R2 disk to other ports and then format it, also the 3<sup>rd</sup> HDD. By the way, the following post discussed the similar issue, you can refer to: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverhyperv/thread/c6560973-da0a-4f54-923b-500fbdaf8d19/ Important Note: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
October 10th, 2010 11:44pm

thanks Vincent & DAVE for the Info i will try this today at home there is no disk pace issue,i have more than 200Gb Free in each HDD it seems that when my Trial period of win 2008 R2 ,finished ( which i didnt notice ) , it seems it conflicted WIN 7 performance @Vincent : my scenario is : win7 was installed before Win 2008R2 thanks
October 11th, 2010 1:51am

Hi, So you can perform the steps in scenario in my last reply. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
October 11th, 2010 2:34am

Hi, so i removed the Win2008 boot from the boot informationusing msconfig and then restarted the pc format the win2008 partition installed win 7 again i noticed a huge slow performance ,when i try to boot windows so i tried to disable the same HDD that has the win 2008 partition and the VM partitions and like magic now i can boot to windows within 50 sec :) iam going to check why i am having this slowness on when i enable the 3rd HDD ? any help would be great also is there a way to fully remove the HDD details from my register ,or w.e i want to try fully remove it and then Re-install this HDD hope anyone can help thanks
October 13th, 2010 5:26pm

Hi, I am a bit confused about your description. It seems that you got some performance if you install Windows 7 on the Windows Server 2008 disk(the second disk), if so, I suspect that there are some issue with the second hard disk. You need to check the setting on the hard drive or replace it with a new one. By the way, as you mentioned that you have another Windows 7 installed on the first hard disk, so if you want to remove the boot information of the Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 installed on the second hard disk, you can login to the Windows 7 installed on the first hard disk and then remove the unneeded boot information from Windows Boot Manager or through bcdedit command. Best Regards, Vincent Hu
October 14th, 2010 5:19am

thanx vincent well it appear there was nothingin the boot conifguration ,i checked using msconfig and using bcedit only my win7 is shown i formated the whole HDD ,and uninstalled from my Devicemanager restart ,reinstall \recreate partitions and now its running super fast i beleive there was some sys files,still in the " system volume information folder" of each drive problem solved after dleteing all partitiona dn recreate them~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Remember to vote helpful,if the reply was helpful ,provinding information...
October 14th, 2010 9:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics