how to prevent end-user access to w2k3 server while moving fileshares/security?
Greetings, how can I prevent WINS access or others from connecting to my server win 2003 r2?I'm migrating files shares / security to a filer and have already done the following:- changed server IP to another one but I was informed that the WINS clients still are able to access the server until their lease expires.* currently, we are using secure copy to get our final incremental of data changes via the other IP address we changed to but thought noticed users are still connected to legacy server during the scheduled outage due to their WINS sessions.Thanks for the help
February 5th, 2010 6:41pm

There are several options, below are the two easiest.1) Stop/Disable the Server Service.2) Change permissions on the Share's so that only administrators have access.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 6th, 2010 12:37am

I'd go for No. 1; Stop the ftp service.Information is provided "AS IS" without any guaranty nor liability and, in no lesser extent, with devotion and care.
February 6th, 2010 8:34pm

You can pause the server service.Regards, Dave Patrick .... Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows]
February 6th, 2010 9:05pm

Hi ,Its not ftp service, You need to stop the service service under services.msc. with respect to SMB protocol there are 2 major services which runs on clients or server a) server service b) workstation service. If you stop the server service, other clients in your org ( irrespective of subnets ) would not be able to connect to the shares ( basically you are tweaking the beahvior of IPC$ communication / interprocess communication behavior ) if you stop the workstation service then other systems can access the shares on your server, but you server could not access shares on other clients. think about a client and server model.
February 24th, 2010 4:44am

Security wise thinking you should have shut down the sever completely if you're about to do these kinds of sensitive migrations.Information is provided "AS IS" without any guaranty nor liability and, in no lesser extent, with devotion and care.
February 24th, 2010 5:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics