how to nat on WindowsSErver2003 (SBS)
Hello, I would like to ask about network address translation on Windows Server 2003 (SBS). Topology of my network: Server has 2 card one goes to the ADSL router and the other to the swich and is linked to lan. Thus all the communication of computers on the lan goes through the server. My problem is: I need to connect (eg. Remoter control, port 3389) directly to the klient computer on the lan from my computer at home, but I am not able to because everything is stopped on that server. On the server I use PC Tools firewall and it does not work even if it is stopped. The manager of the firm does not want to invest money therefor I need to solve it on the hardware and sw that I have at disposal. Please could anyone help me how to skip the server so that I could get connected directly to the destined computer on the lan? (I used to nat on the router to skip the server to get to the destinned computer but withou any success) Thanks Libor
December 10th, 2008 9:36am

You cannot go directly to a LAN machine because the LAN machines are not connected to the Internet and do not have registered public IP addresses. What device is doing NAT? Is the sbs server running as a NAT router or is an ADSL device doing it? What are the IP addresses of the two NICs in the sbs server?Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 11th, 2008 1:28am

Hello,nat router is that ADSL router that has public IPSBS Server conceted to ADSL has 192.168.1.33 and the other card connected to lan has 192.168.2.1If I try to nat on the router to pc on the lan eg 192.168.2.117 it doesnot work. Please could you help me what is wrong?Thank you very much for any helpLibor
December 11th, 2008 5:19pm

No, that won't work. You are two hops from the Internet (ie there are two routers). You could forward from the ADSL device to the server, or from the server to the client, but not from the ADSL device to the client computer.Bill
December 12th, 2008 1:29am

But, how can I forward from internet to the client? Because server goes through the router? Does windows server have something similar to iptable on linux? I am sorry for such question but I am newbie to window server. Thank you for patience.libor
December 12th, 2008 5:08pm

You can't. The ADSL device is your public connection. From there you can only forward to a machine which is directly connected to this device. In your case the only machine directly connected it your server. If the server was connected to the Internet with a public IP you could forward to the machine on the LAN. You cannot forward across a second router.Bill
December 14th, 2008 1:25am

Thank you very much for your help.Finally I solved the problem by inserting the swichtch between the server and router and the put the computer that had been on the lan on that new switch. Thus the computer is accessed easily from the Internet.Once more thank you for your helpLibor
December 17th, 2008 7:02pm

Glad to hear that you solved the problem.Bill
December 18th, 2008 3:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics