how to manage work group computers in VAMT 3.1 windows 2012

hi all,

I have a problem. how will I manage non-domain computers in VAMT.

I have one client installed new OS, and automatically joined to KMS. it is not joined to domain. it reaches via wireless assigned DNS server. how will I add this client in VAMT?

I added registry entry in client. firewall is off. what else? this machine is in "WORKGROUP".

in add discovery in VAMT, there is no workgroup selection for name "workgroup". how will I add it to VAMT 3.1 on windows 2012 R2.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

• Edited by Mr. Parkar Tuesday, March 24, 2015 4:19 PM
March 22nd, 2015 10:08am

VAMT3.1 should have the "Workgroup Discovery" feature:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/library/hh825059.aspx
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 22nd, 2015 10:39am

ok

under section:

To search for computers in a workgroup, click Search for computers in the workgroup, then under Workgroup Filter Criteria, in the list of workgroup names click the name of the workgroup you want to search.

but the workgroup name doesnot appear here. how will I search my work group.

thanks

March 23rd, 2015 3:38am

hi, there is no documentation available about how to manage work group computers in VAMT.

In VAMT guide, it is only written about how to allow work group clients to search KMS host using DNS. and editing registry.

but my workgroup name "WORKGROUP" is not showing under workgroup discovery. how will I manage work group clients.

my workgroup computers is activated using KMS but the question is how will I manage them through VAMT.

thanks

March 24th, 2015 3:42pm

I agree that the documentation for VAMT is very light on detail.
I don't use VAMT myself, and, I don't have any WORKGROUP computers in my organisation.

As a check, if you open Windows Explorer / Network, do you see the WORKGROUP computernames listed?

If you can't see these computers appearing in your browse list, can you actually resolve those computernames from the VAMT server ?

VAMT won't be able to discover computers, if the VAMT computer itself cannot browse the computernames..

March 24th, 2015 8:09pm

Hi,

According to the MS article, you can use VAMT to discover computers in the local environment.

VAMT can discover computers by querying AD DS, workgroups, by individual computer name or IP address, or via a general LDAP query.

Did you configure the firewall to allow VAMT access?

By default, Windows Firewall Exceptions only apply to traffic originating on the local subnet. To expand the exception to apply to multiple subnets, you need to change the exception settings in the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, as described below.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825136.aspx

Please feel free to let us know if you have any update about the issue.

Regards.

March 27th, 2015 8:43am

Hi,

my workgroup machine is entirely in different subnet assigned by wireless router. however it is reaching DNS due to assigned DNS server.

if you mean configure the firewall to allow VAMT access, on Client computer. Windows firewall is turned off. there is no antivirus installed. it is not joined to domain.

network discovery ON. WMI is configured and is oK tested locally only. cannot connect from KMS. since KMS is in domain. and client is in workgroup. it is throwing access is denied. ofcourse becoz, wmi uses by default logon credentials. it will not domain\user to logon to client computer.

March 29th, 2015 1:12am

I think there is article to isolate KMS. and step by step guide for it.

using these I can prevent outside consultants who comes and joined to our network and may get activation.

I am unable to find that step by step guide.

if any link or document. it will by useful.

let me know

thanks once again.

March 29th, 2015 11:58pm

hi,

I am looking for the two methods referenced (IPSEC isolation and not publishing the SRV record in DNS for auto-discovery) 

also what if we did not publish SRV record in DNS and using group policy set slmgr.vbs /ckms <kms_host> to allow only domain joined PC to KMS. will that work.

Thanks

March 30th, 2015 1:27am

hi,

still the question remains same. that is how will I add work group computers in VAMT 3.1. and where our workgroup is not showing in VAMT.

April 1st, 2015 12:22am

so I believe there is no way to manage work group clients in VAMT 3.1. our work group is not showing in VAMT3.1 under workgroup discovery.

April 7th, 2015 1:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics