how to install Netlogon service dependencies without joining a domain
Fresh Server 2008R2 install - NOT in a domain My app needs to be able to netLogon - (using other systems in my environment) if I am the AD/DC or even Join a domain the proper dependencies of the Netlogon service get loaded. I want to remain NOT-in-a-domain. Netlogon service->properties->dependencies says it needs "Workstation" component with subfolders in the area of Browser Support,Network Store Interface Service, and SMB1.x and SMB2.0 I'm pretty sure I need to install "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network" but I do not see that as a ROLE or a FEATURE I would like to stay using the GUI add roles, role service, or features and not have to hack commandline or registries Thank you
March 2nd, 2011 11:47am

Please let me explain why I need Netlogon when Not in a domain. The EMC NX4 NAS server gets its CIFS SHARE passwording set by doing a control-alt-delete (ctl-alt-end in RDP) -> changepassword - On ANY server in the environment then you give a network based change password session as in: login: 10.x.y.z\administrator (so you are changing the password of another entity) old password: xxxxxxx new password : yyyyyyy confirm password: yyyyyyy The EMC does NOT have any way to change the password in its control GUI (at least not using UniSphere)(this is how EMC says to do it) I suppose I can alway use the DC or a DC member to do this from but I thought it might be nice to get NetLogon running on a non-domina based server
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 2nd, 2011 12:18pm

Hi, Why do you need to install the "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network"? The dependencies of Netlogon service is Workstation service. Can you start the Workstation service on this server? If so, can you start the Netlogon service? If any error for Netlogon service is showed, please let us know the detailed error or capture a screenshot for research. To install "File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network" on Windows Service 2008, refer to the following steps: 1. Open Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, click Change adapter settings. 2. Right click your network card and choose Properties. 3. Check “File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network” and click Install. 4. Follow the instructions to complete the install. In the meantime, for more information on creating a new dependency, please refer to the following link: How to delay loading of specific services http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888 Best Regards, Nina Liu TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com. Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 7th, 2011 5:06am

Hello - The only reason I mention File and Print is that the Networker Install manual says: SERVER REQUIREMENTS Page 20 Install Guide The DCOM Service Control Manager/Remote Procedure Call service (rpcss.exe) on Windows: • TCP/IP stack on Windows • File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network I made a whole set of screenshots but this thread is NOT allowing attachments. Say I will have to explain: In Domain-associated AND non-Domain Associated Servers => BOTH Workstation and RPC are running as Network Service and Netlogon as Local System - File and Printer Sharing is blue checked as "on" in NIC properties -> The error on the non-domain Associated Server when I try to manually start = "The Netlogon service on HOSTNAME started and then stopped. Some service stop automatically if they are not in use by othere services or programs. ALL systems were connected to a switch during install. Here is an interesting point: in the NON-Domain system the Netlogon Dependencies is WORKSTATION in the DOMAIN associated server the Netlogon Dependencies is WORKSTATION AND! SERVER --> SERVER additional branch expanded is "Security Accounts Manager -> Remote Procedure Call (RPC) -> DCOM Server Process Launcher AND RPC Endpoint Mapper. Something else gets added when you either join a domain or are the DC - I am running a clean install of Server 2008 R2 with the latest updates on 35 Servers. Most will not be in a domain -> This occurs on ALL my non domain associated servers. You might want to try going to a Server 2008 R2 system not in a domain and simply try to start Netlogon
March 9th, 2011 7:56am

Hi, According to your description, “File and printer sharing for Microsoft Network” is installed. As we can see that the NetLogon service verifies NTLM logon requests, and it registers, authenticates, and locates domain controllers. We cannot make sure NetLogon service can work in the environment you described for the EMC server. If so, you may need to consult the EMC support for a workaround. Meanwhile, if you would like to configure the Netlogon service to depend on the Server service as a test, please refer to the following steps: 1. Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe). 2. Locate and then click the DependOnService value under the following key in the registry: 3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netlogon 4. On the Edit menu, click Multi String, type LanmanServer on a line by itself, and then click OK. 5. Quit Registry Editor. For more information, check the following article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322267 Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 13th, 2011 3:13am

The system event log when I try to start says: "This computer is configured as a member of a workgroup, not as a member of a domain. The Netlogon does not need to run in this configuration." So ok - if that is Microsoft's Final Position -then in order to do a Network oriented "change password" - (see thread post above Wednesday, March 02, 2011 5:13 PM) I must have to do from a Domain Oriented Server/Client Server. I can live with that. Thank you for your time. ( I wonder what else gets done inside Server2008 when one joins a domain - but if you cannot specify - I can live with that. I haven't the time to find out. ) BTW: Technically the instructions you gave latest and the resolution part of the KB/322267 is inaccuarte - there is no selection of Edit-> MultiString when selecting "DependonService" => all one really has (at least in Win2008R2) is "MODIFY" and I am not changing it from LanWorkStation to LanServer (which are both running) Also the KB/322267 is getting old - It referes to RPC Locator - which is 2003 and pre. 2008(R2) runs RPC (RPCSS). Thank you...
March 13th, 2011 10:03am

Hi, Thanks for your feedback. Actually, the article is for Small Business Server 2000 and 2003. Meanwhile, the steps are similar in Windows Server 2008 R2. You just need to right click the DependOnService value and choose “Modify…”, under LanmanWorkstation, type LanmanServer and then click OK. This can add Server service as a dependencies. Sorry for not addressing the steps more detail. Thanks. Nina Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
March 13th, 2011 10:07pm

Lets try to close this thread so that people can actually get an answer. Microsoft - doesn't support Netlogon without being domain oriented.
March 13th, 2011 10:13pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics