how to extend the ASP.NET timeout time

Hi, guys

I published my orchestration as a web service and built a web site by ASP.NET to call the service. But the page will always time out in 110 seconds after I click the button. I searched and add to the web.config the following:

<httpRuntime executionTimeout="86400" /> and I make sure that

<compilation debug="false">    
     </compilation>.

But after 110 seconds, the web page will display the following error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ApplicationTimeOutException: Application Either Has Timed Out Or Is Timing Out
  at Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ServerProxy.Invoke(String functionName, Object[] parameters, ParamInfo[] inParamInfos, ParamInfo[] outParamInfos, Int32 bodyPartIndex, String bodyType, ArrayList inHeaders, ArrayList inoutHeaders, ArrayList& inoutHeaderResponses, ArrayList& outHeaderResponses, Type[] outHeaderTypes, String[] outHeaderNamespaces, SoapUnknownHeader[] unknownHeaders, SoapUnknownHeader[]& unknownHeaderResponses, Boolean oneway, Boolean spsSsoEnabled, Object cookie)
  at Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ServerProxy.Invoke(String functionName, Object[] parameters, ParamInfo[] inParamInfos, ParamInfo[] outParamInfos, Int32 bodyPartIndex, String bodyType, ArrayList inHeaders, ArrayList inoutHeaders, ArrayList& inoutHeaderResponses, ArrayList& outHeaderResponses, Type[] outHeaderTypes, String[] outHeaderNamespaces, SoapUnknownHeader[] unknownHeaders, SoapUnknownHeader[]& unknownHeaderResponses, Boolean oneway, Boolean spsSsoEnabled)
  at LiveMode.LiveMode_Orchestration_1_inputOutputPort.Operation_1(Root part)
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. ---> Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ApplicationTimeOutException: Application Either Has Timed Out Or Is Timing Out
  at Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ServerProxy.Invoke(String functionName, Object[] parameters, ParamInfo[] inParamInfos, ParamInfo[] outParamInfos, Int32 bodyPartIndex, String bodyType, ArrayList inHeaders, ArrayList inoutHeaders, ArrayList& inoutHeaderResponses, ArrayList& outHeaderResponses, Type[] outHeaderTypes, String[] outHeaderNamespaces, SoapUnknownHeader[] unknownHeaders, SoapUnknownHeader[]& unknownHeaderResponses, Boolean oneway, Boolean spsSsoEnabled, Object cookie)
  at Microsoft.BizTalk.WebServices.ServerProxy.ServerProxy.Invoke(String functionName, Object[] parameters, ParamInfo[] inParamInfos, ParamInfo[] outParamInfos, Int32 bodyPartIndex, String bodyType, ArrayList inHeaders, ArrayList inoutHeaders, ArrayList& inoutHeaderResponses, ArrayList& outHeaderResponses, Type[] outHeaderTypes, String[] outHeaderNamespaces, SoapUnknownHeader[] unknownHeaders, SoapUnknownHeader[]& unknownHeaderResponses, Boolean oneway, Boolean spsSsoEnabled)
  at LiveMode.LiveMode_Orchestration_1_inputOutputPort.Operation_1(Root part)
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

P.S. This happens in both debug and release mode of ASP.NET

Anyone can give me a help? It really drives me crazy. Thanks a lot.

April 14th, 2011 8:37am

Hi,

Check this article:Troubleshooting BizTalk Server SOAP Adapter

ASP.NET Execution Timeout

The third timeout value depends on the ASP.NET executionTimeout property timeout settings. When you increase the overall transaction timeout, adjust the executionTimeout value to receive all the expected responses. For more information about configuring the timeout value, see “executionTimeout” at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=122121.

executionTimeout

• Location: machine.config file orweb.config fileEnumeration: TimeSpan attribute

• Default: 110

• Sample:

<configuration>
    <system.web>
         <httpRuntime executionTimeout=”00:05:00”>
    </system.web>
</configuration>

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2011 9:23am

It looks like this might be an error on the BizTalk side, what settings did you change in your bindings (of the exposed WCF Orchestration) for timeout?

Kind Regards,

-Dan

April 14th, 2011 12:13pm

Hi, Sandro

As i mentioned, that's what I did and I also make sure that the debug is set to false and disabled in IIS.

Besides, the "00:50:00" is wrong format that cannot be parsed. What should be put there ist the integer value of number of seconds.

Thanks.

April 14th, 2011 6:19pm

Hi, Dan

I did not change any setting on the binding. I used web service publish wizard and it made a receive port/location which is added to the orchestration applicatoin in biztalk server. I binded that receive port to the public port and I consumed the web service through ASP.NET page.

Let me know if you need any other information. Thanks a lot.

-Dallas

April 14th, 2011 6:28pm

Well, I just solved the problem by going IIS->web site->property->ASP.NET tab->edit configure->Application, and change 110 to 86400. It seems that just change the execution time in web.config is not enough, and we also have to the website in IIS.
  • Marked as answer by Ddallas Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:32 PM
April 14th, 2011 7:32pm

Are you calling the web service synchronously? Calling long running orchestration synchronously will obviously cause you timeout (If so, this is something I will suggest to review your architecture). At the same time it might be easier to have synchronous call when response is vital for your web application. 

At the same time the timeout might also occur if your orchestration is waiting for response from other resources (database, other ports, server, application etc). So if you are not using long running biztalk process and need to have synchronous call, you might need to review see the timeout suggested above in your web application or the web service. 

Well, I just solved the problem by going IIS->web site->property->ASP.NET tab->edit configure->Application, and change 110 to 86400. It seems that just change the execution time in web.config is not enough, and we also have to the website in IIS.
  • Marked as answer by Ddallas Thursday, April 14, 2011 7:32 PM

Better to change it to second format like 5*60=300

httpRuntime executionTimeout=300

June 30th, 2015 1:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics