how to create a project/solution from a completed dtsx file?

I have been working with the MSDN tutorial (with sql server 2008 R2) at

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms169917(v=sql.105).aspx

and now I'm trying to work with one of the completed lessons (lesson1.dtsx).  I was able to open Lesson1.dtsx from BI by selecting the Open File option.  This opened up Lesson 1 in the designer with the Flow task and LookUp objects.  But there is nothing in the solution explorer, and 'Start Debugging' is grayed out in BI/Debug.   Is there a way I can create a project / solution from this completed dtsx?  How to accomplish that?

Like in C# if I open up a .csproj file in VS(2012) I can run the project, and on closing -- VS will ask to save the solution .sln and VS creates the .sln for you.  Can BI do something like that with a .dtsx

March 31st, 2015 9:02pm

You can create a new BI project, then add this package file .dtsx to it via (add-->exiting items) on the packages folder
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 31st, 2015 9:55pm

Thank you.  That worked perfectly. 

Question -- originally I had a different version of AdventureworksDW (for sql server 2008) which did not contain the DimTime table -- instead it had a DimDate table.  I referenced that while following Lesson1 in the tutorial.  It did not work.  Why?  It would error out on the 2nd LookUp of the Lesson1 tutorial.

I ended up downloading AdventureWorksBI.msi for sql server 2005.  This contained the same version of AdventureWorksDW as the tutorial and did also contain the DimTime table, and now the package works.  My problem is that I don't really know what is going on -- it just works.  My previous effort didn't work -- with DimDate table.  If I knew what I was doing I am thinking I should be able to adapt the 2008 AdventworksDW to the tutorial.

March 31st, 2015 10:23pm

Each Adventure Works is tailored to a specific SSIS version. E.g. 2005 for SSIS 2005 AFAIK.

With SSIS 2008 you need to use AW 2008 (there are by flavor versions of AW e.g. Data Warehouse).

Not sure how the tutorial is structured.

If you have further issues post to a new thread and provide error details.

March 31st, 2015 11:26pm

Thanks for the suggestions.
March 31st, 2015 11:43pm

My previous effort didn't work -- with DimDate table.  If I knew what I was doing I am thinking I should be able to adapt the 2008 AdventworksDW to the tut

April 1st, 2015 2:06am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics