how to create a DNS entry locally for a public URL
Hi, I have a DNS issue as follows... WE have Domain controller and additional domain controller(Both win2k3) Two DNS servers internally on DC and ADC I have a public URL like "vpn.mycompany.com" and "excellent.mycompany.com" which I will access through Internet out side my company and it gets resolved by isp DNS and I will able to connect.... My question the same above URLs while accessing internally inside my LAN how to avoid it going to public means can create a local DNS zone which will resolve it locally instead of going through the internet and again coming back to the Proxy here in my company We are using proxy for the users.... Let me be clear I want that URLs to be locally resolved and should not go public and provide access for internal users... Please understand and help Got confused ask me questions/doubts plz help
April 30th, 2010 4:17am

If you want to resolve hostnames for mycompany.com internally, you will need to create that zone on your internal DNS servers. This is considered a split-DNS solution. Your internal zone mycompany.com will need to contain your internal records & your external records. Your external zone will only contain your external records. If your AD name scheme is also mycompany.com, then you already have the zone in your DNS. If your AD name scheme is something like mycompany.local, then go ahead and create another zone called mycompany.com and create all of your external records on that zone. The reason why you need ALL external records is that your clients that point to that zone will use that as the authoritative source for the information. If that DNS server does not have the record it will NOT forward clients to any other DNS for name resolution. That internal zone, mycompany.com will be AUTHORITATIVE for the zone. This is design is called split-DNS.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 30th, 2010 4:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics