how to configure my windwos server 2008 with two NICs to share internet access.
I have a server with two NICs. NIC 1 is connected to the modem with the following configuration IP: 192.168.1.2 (static) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (IP of the modem) Primary dns: 80.87.78.11 Alternate dns: 80.87.78.4 NIC 2 is connected to the switch, with the switch connected to the client computers. NIC 2 is with the following configuration: IP: 192.168.0.1 (static) Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (Ip address of the modem) Primary dns: 192.168.0.1 After that I installed Active directory, DNS and DHCP with an IP range of 192.168.0.4 - 192.168.0.120. I also checked the share network option on the NIC 1. Even though the server leases the IP to the client computers alright, the client computers cannot browse the internet even though the server can browse. What have I not down right. I need help. Thanks
January 31st, 2011 11:38am

You should not run your DC connected to two networks. SBS will run like this but standard Windows server will give you all sorts of odd problems with name resolution and browsing. Either use two servers (one router and one domain controller) or use a hardware router so that the DC has only one (private) IP. You will also need to modify your DNS if you run AD. AD is not compatible with the dns relay method used by NAT devices. Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 31st, 2011 8:40pm

You should not run your DC connected to two networks. SBS will run like this but standard Windows server will give you all sorts of odd problems with name resolution and browsing. Either use two servers (one router and one domain controller) or use a hardware router so that the DC has only one (private) IP. You will also need to modify your DNS if you run AD. AD is ot compatible with the dns relay method used by NAT devices. Bill
January 31st, 2011 8:40pm

Hi, Thanks for posting here. I agree with bill that you should not deploy active directory service on a multihomed server. Meanwhile, you may follow the introduction in the link below to configure your server to implement internet connection : Internet Connection Sharing and network address translat http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758507(WS.10).aspx Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2011 12:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics