how to configure my server and ADSL router for VPN connection
I have toruble setting up VPN directly on my router because configuration are really few and I follow the router instruction with no help. in most ISP router, if you are not configurate the router as they whish it will never work. For instance I have a a router set at 192.168.2.1 behind this I have 2 servers with one which act as a DC, DNS, DHCP So as my DC work as DHCP I have desactivate my router DHCP. And I think the probleme is now that when I configure VPN from my router, it ask to send client IP adress through DHCP which is desable in the router from my case: let say that I want to not use the router VPN configuration, what should I do to get access to my network on my Files server located at 192.168.2.103 behind my router ? I have first add VPN role as shown below : I have set the DCHP relay agent to use my local Network adapter I have define a DynDns host as I do not have fixed adress for my ROuter, defined as http://mycompany.dyndns.org Then what I am doing is setup a VPN connection from my Windows 7 Then when setting up Windows 7 client VPN, what should I set as user name and password and protocole ? is tehre anything to setup ? Thanks for your help reagards Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
September 19th, 2011 8:40am

Dear all, Sorry for basic question but this si something I never doen so far. I have an ADSL router which provide different configuration like NAT, VPN, DMZ... In my small company I have a particular Server behind that router which I need to access files and folders when I am away. First of all I do not have static IP adress given by my ISP. I simply need a steps by step procedure in order to configurer my Server 2008 R2 in order that I can connect to it through VPN from my Windows 7 64 bits laptop. how should I set my server and laptop conenction ? For your information, I have follow this link : http://www.thomasmaurer.ch/2010/10/how-to-install-vpn-on-windows-server-2008-r2/ but when remote service start, the server I am configuring for remote access is not anymore connected to internet and I am even not able to access it through RDP on my internal network Any guide will be welcome thnaks for help regards serge Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 19th, 2011 1:55pm

If you configure a VPN connection through your router you do not need to make any changes to the server (and this is the best way to do it). You set up the VPN connection to the router and either map the connection to your server using NAT or use port forwarding (all from the router). Bill
September 19th, 2011 9:58pm

Secure in what way? It translates your current IP address to a name. Do you regard that as a security risk? I don't.Bill
September 20th, 2011 12:39am

Hi Serge, Thanks for posing here. I think deploying VPN is the correct way for you to access internal files and folders form internet. Since you have got VPN feature on your internet router, so why not just set it up and make it work? Please refer to the manual in order to properly configure it . Thanks. Tiger Li Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
September 20th, 2011 3:06am

I would love to but I guess there should be something to be done on Serveur 2008 R2 in order to receive VPN client call no ? Is there a vpn client to configure also on server 2008 ? How about the client computer, how it can access my server as I do not have fixed Ip adress ? internally my server is at Ip adress 192.168.1.103. could you explain how will look like the VPN table and NAT or port forwarding. Routeur doc is not explaining that as it is suppose to be for administrator regards serge Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
September 20th, 2011 3:09am

As I said before, that has nothing to do with Windows. How you set up VPN access to your router depends entirely on how you program your router, and this is not the place to discuss it. You do not need any of the things you are trying to set up on the server, and they would do nothing for you without changes to the router. (They would only allow you to make a VPN connection to the server from a PC on your local LAN). You cannot connect directly to a machine on a private LAN from the Inernet! You must connect to the router's public IP address. I will discuss here how you plan to configure your network. You can certainly use your DC for DHCP if you have disabled the DHCP function on your router. In fact I would recommend it, because the default settings NAT uses are not compatible with Active Directory. Your LAN clients should use the router's IP address as their gateway but should use the DC for DNS. Your local DNS (on the DC) should be configured so that it forwards to a public DNS service (such as your ISP or a service like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.4 . This has nothing to do with VPN. It is necessary for AD to work properly on a private network behind a NAT router. Bill
September 20th, 2011 3:11am

No, you do not need to change anything on the server. You direct the VPN traffic from the router to the server's LAN IP of 192.168.1.103. You only need a VPN client if you are the VPN caller. You router is a VPN receiver. How you set up the router is not really a Windows problem. Check the manual or the website of your ADSL router (or check to see if they have a forum). If you do not have a fixed IP you will need to use a system like dyddns to associate a name with a changing IP address and connect by name. Bill
September 20th, 2011 3:42am

thanksYour knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
September 20th, 2011 3:50am

does dyndns is really secure for that?Your knowledge is enhanced by that of others.
September 20th, 2011 3:51am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics