how can I avoid that VMM places all Vms in 1 Lun?

hi forums,

we have a hyper-v + vmm + azure pack setup.
Our storage presents 4 luns to all hosts. now it happened that 1 lun was full and the others still had plenty of space.

shouldnt vmm balance the vms on the storage somehow to avoid that?

April 22nd, 2015 8:18am

I don't know the current state, but SCVMM has a history of not balancing the storage placement.

The best I can say is to make sure that you have the storage paths defined properly.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 22nd, 2015 10:27am

we have 4 luns, so 4 CSVs. I dont want to place the VMs manually. VMM should take care of that
April 22nd, 2015 11:07am

Can you describe a little more fully what kind of VM deployments you are using? Are the VM's diff disk VMs? Are the VM's data disks all being placed on a single LUN, or the base disks?

There is a known issue which places all VM base disks on the first LUN in the list defined in Host properties, under "Placement Paths", "Parent Disk Paths". This can be worked around by changing the order of this list, and it will be fixed in UR6.

I hope this helps

Cheers, Hilton

April 22nd, 2015 2:34pm

hi,

the VM's disks are dynamic disks, not differential.
we have 4 LUNs. The VMs are distributed over the 4 luns, but OS disks and data disks are on the same lun (OS + Data disk of VM1 are on LUN1, OS + Data disk of VM2 are on lun2 etc).

the placement paths in the properties of all hosts are the same, showing all 4 luns (the full one ist the last one in the list.

April 23rd, 2015 3:39am

Hi

Just to confirm, you are seeing VMs placed on all 4 LUNs. However, one is low on space, and the others have space. Can you let me know how imbalanced the VMs are - IE, how much data is on one disk compared to the others?

If you try to create a new VM now, where is it placed? On the full disk, or on one of the others? Were the others added later, after some VMs were already deployed?

I'd like to understand the root cause about what caused the imbalance, but for now you can relieve this situation by doing a storage migration to move a VM off the full LUN and onto another. As long as new VMs are going to the correct LUNs (the ones with the most space), then the problem should not recur.

Lastly, exactly what version of VMM are you on? I didn't see that in your original question.

Thanks, Hilton

April 23rd, 2015 2:45pm

I am sorry for my late answer. I am pretty sure I answered your questions already because I researched all the information but obviously I didn't post it :O
so here we go:

The luns are very imbalanced. Like 1:1.1:5:13, ranging from 1TB to 13 TB.
Yes of course there were VMs created later on. Also the customer creates VMs in an AzurePack Portal.
New VMs are created on the largest LUN. :/

VMM Version is 3.2.7768.0, installed in February this year. That's UR4

May 12th, 2015 5:50am

I Think I just found the solution.

for some reason, the unused LUNs hat the classification "remote storage", which was wrong. I changed them to the correct one. I guess VMM will use them again now. will report back

May 15th, 2015 9:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics