hexadecimal value 0x10, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 228.

getting started with Azure.

I installed VS2013, the Azure SDK for VS2013 and web deploy 3.5

following the steps on this post

http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/web-sites-dotnet-deploy-aspnet-mvc-app-membership-oauth-sql-database/

When I try to deploy to a website created in Azure with DB, I get

Error 1 '', hexadecimal value 0x10, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 228.

The details:

Transformed Web.config using C:\Projects\ContactManager\ContactManager\Web.Release.config into obj\Release\TransformWebConfig\transformed\Web.config.
Copying all files to temporary location below for package/publish:
obj\Release\AspnetCompileMerge\Source.
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe -v / -p C:\Projects\ContactManager\ContactManager\obj\Release\AspnetCompileMerge\Source -u -c C:\Projects\ContactManager\ContactManager\obj\Release\AspnetCompileMerge\TempBuildDir 
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\VisualStudio\v12.0\Web\Deploy\Microsoft.Web.Publishing.MSDeploy.Common.targets(42,5): Error : '', hexadecimal value 0x10, is an invalid character. Line 1, position 228.

I have tried uninstalling VS2013, the SDK and even web deploy and reinstalling them and that didn't help.

One caveat:

when I try to deploy to a website created without DB, I get don't get the error above.

any help appreciated

UPDATE:

Figured it out.

My DB Password had the "%" character. I guess that's not well handled by Visual Studio at the moment.

After removing the "%" character from my DB password, I was able to deploy again.

• Edited by Wancorp Monday, June 30, 2014 10:23 PM
June 30th, 2014 8:48pm

Hi,

Figured it out.

My DB Password had the "%" character. I guess that's not well handled by Visual Studio at the moment.

After removing the "%" character from my DB password, I was able to deploy again.

I'm glad to hear that you have found out the solution, I will close this thread, thanks for your posting, if you have any issues, welcome to our forum again.

Best Regards,

Jambor

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 1st, 2014 6:07am

Did you ever find a decent solution to this? I have % in my passwords and need to keep them in the XML
April 24th, 2015 11:34pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics