help with article id: 816042 How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server
We're having trouble with time syncronization in a Windows 2003 R2 domain environment. I'm using the Microsoft article "816042 How to configure an authoritative time server in Windows Server" to verify that our domain is properly configured for W32Time. The article is at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042 In the section "Configuring the Windows Time service to use an external time source" > "Let me fix it myself"> step 4 shown below, it says to go the registry key shown, and under parameters there should be value for NTPServer. I don't have a value listed as NTPserver. I have Default, ServiceDll, ServiceMain and type. I wonder if I'm supposed to create one but am reluctant to try it without an indication to do so in the document. Any idea why I wouldn't have such a value at that location? The artical says it applies to my version, Windows Standard 2003 (32 bit x86). Also, when the article says that PEER is a placeholder for a space delimited list of ntp servers, I understand that to mean that rather than type PEER you type your list of ntp servers. For example: ntp1.domain.com,0x1 ntp2.domain.com,0x1 ntp3.domain.com,0x1 Is that correct? Thanks for your help! Specify the time sources. To do this, follow these steps: Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters In the right pane, right-click NtpServer, and then click Modify. In Edit Value, type <var>Peers</var> in the Value data box, and then click OK. Note <var>Peers</var> is a placeholder for a space-delimited list of peers from which your computer obtains time stamps. Each DNS name that is listed must be unique. You must append ,0x1 to the end of each DNS name. If you do not append ,0x1 to the end of each DNS name, the changes made in step 5 will not take effect.
September 30th, 2011 12:36am

Hi, You should only configure your PDC emulator of your root domain to sync with a reliable time source. It's recommanded to use the W32tm command instead of changing the registry parameter. To reset the windows time service backon its default settings: - open a command prompt - execute: w32tm /unregister and reboot the server - after reboot, open a command prompt - execute: w32tm /register To configure a reliable external time source: - open a command prompt - execute the following command: w32tm /config /manualpeerlist: <IP1> <IP2> /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update Where IP1 and IP2 are th external time servers. Peter Van Keymeulen, IT Infrastructure Solution Architect, www.edeconsulting.be
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 14th, 2011 8:03am

Hi, I would like to confirm what is the current situation? If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know, and I will be happy to help. Regards, Arthur Li Forum Support Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 15th, 2011 9:15pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics