hardware profiles
is there a way to prepare hardware profile in vista/lhs - just as it was possible in xp, to disable some of the devices? it seems that profiles are for services only, and there is no possibility to prepare my own profiles - just automaticly created by system.
May 10th, 2007 12:44pm

hardware profiles has been deprecated in Vista and Windows Server 2008 so no longer available. Hope theupdated plug n play functionality works well anyway. Brjann
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 2nd, 2007 10:52pm

depricated? strange decision many ppl [me included] using mobile devices, used profiles for energy and system resources saving. if i disable device - is it freeing all the resources? because the only workaround i can figure out is write a script disabling/enabling some of the unused devices. but i wonder will it work the same?
August 16th, 2007 4:04pm

If you disable device it is not loaded so that is a solution. the decision to not continue the development and even cut this feature of the OS is as many decisions a result of combination of different things. Increased use of dockingstations, better power management overall in hardware and device drivers and then ofcourse also input from customers and partners. As a result this feature is no longer in the GUI. Good feedback, thanks. Brjann
August 19th, 2007 6:41pm

Here is my situation. At the school we have all computers using hard ip addressing with no DHCP allowed. Yet when a laptop goes on the road it needs to use DHCP to connect in motels etc. I do not want to give every user Admin rights to change the system. So without hardware profiles how can I set up the laptops to use our ip configuration on campus and DHCP off campus? Wray
October 13th, 2007 5:53am

So what about tools like Vmware that rely on this feature? Do you want me to switch to linux 100% of the time? I was hoping to boot my windows vista from linux as a virtual machine, but now this is not possible. The Vmware guys use virtual drivers for windows so it is imperative to have multiple hardware profiles to boot vista on linux if you want also to boot vista as a standalone OS sometimes using the native drivers.
March 11th, 2008 5:14am

Sorry but not sure I follow you here, you are booting the OS either in VMWARE as a virtual image and then as a HOST , not virtual? Why would booting Vista in a VM not work if you don't have any HW profiles? Brjann
March 12th, 2008 9:27am

-- Why would booting Vista in a VM not work if you don't have any HW profiles? I could use your expertise here, In XP you can define two HW profiles one to boot the OS as a Host and another to boot it as a vm which uses other drivers for virtual hardware, if vista can detect the change between HW's each time i boot it in different modes it would be fine. Why bother with this? I think is because sometimes I want to have vista working standalone with access to all the resources in the system, as a vm it only works with the resources that have been left by the host OS, but anyway it is convenient to have it as a vm without rebooting the computer. I have a dual boot machine and sometimes I want to do a quick job in the other OS without rebooting it and sometimes I want the OS to operate alone and I cannot decide between them. When I have enough money I will buy another computer to have both OS's at their full capability I guess!I'll probably try to see if I can boot vista as a vm without telling the OS about the possible change in the HW drivers. Austral
March 14th, 2008 5:33am

Hi HW profiles are not connected to running as a VM or host. HW profiles date back to NT4 where you did not have any plug&play so when you had a laptop you didn't want it to load all drivers for your office keyboard, network card on dockingstation and so on so you defined different profiles to only load the drivers that were needed. As Plug and play became better and better the need and use of HW profiles decreased and in Vista the feedback andresearch done prior to developing it showed that HW profiles are not critical and very few companies and users actually usedit. So it wastaken of the list of features in Vista. I have hadlaptops since NT4 and have never used HW Profiles at all eitheron my PC or the PCs that I have managed. You might want to look intousing Virtual PC toget thatvirtual machine environment- I use thisfor my onlinebanking for example. I have one image thatIhave on a USB disk that I start up when I need to pay my bills in the end of the month.Then in my work I use Virtualmachines all the time running small enterprisesetups with 5-10machines runningat the same time on my desktop. Go to www.microsoft.com/virtualpc and download it for free. Hope thishelps Brjann
March 15th, 2008 12:31am

Hi Brjann,Austral is in a situation similar to mine although I use virtualbox instead of vmware. I'll try to explain it. Both vmware and virtualbox have a feature that allows you to boot the virtual machine from a _physical_ partition or disk instead of from a virtual disk as is normally the case. This is very useful because you can either boot the Windows partition natively (after power on), or as a virtual machine inside another host OS (for instance, linux). You would for example do your office work using the VM, and if you want to play a game, which isn't feasible in the VM, you just reboot, and boot Windows natively. The alternative would be to maintain two Windows installations, one on a physical partition, and another on a virtual disk (you would need to duplicate everything you do, like installing software.. very inconvenient).The problem resides with the fact that after boot Windows expects a certain set of hardware to be present, and the virtual hardware which vmware or virtualbox make available to the VM is very different from the physical hardware. This causes Windows to autodetect and try to install hardware it sees as newly available every time you boot Windows a different way (native after VM or VM after native). It can also cause it to hang, for exemple in my case I use a raid controller, so if I boot Windows as a VM, it doesn't need the raid driver because the physical disk is accessed through the block device on my linux installation. However if I try to boot it natively, it won't be able to use the HD because the raid driver is absent.These problems can be avoided by having 2 hardware profiles to choose from at boot, one for the virtual machine, and one for a native boot. However: Austral wrote: if vista can detect the change between HW's each time i boot it in different modes it would be fine. This would be ideal. Do you know if this kind of autodetection would take place, or is this kind of setup simply not possible with Vista?Thanks,Naju
March 30th, 2008 9:19pm

Now I get it, you are using a machine withmultiboot and sometimes booting Vista on one partitiong from the Virtual enviroment sometimes and sometimes as a restart of the machine. this is not a common scenario and did not come up as a reason to keep HW profiles in Vista. this scenario would probably be easier if you had hardware profiles but as they are now gone in Windows Vista you will have issues with this. brjann
March 30th, 2008 10:50pm

It's too bad, I guess I'll have to stick with XP for the time being. One thing though: Brjann Brekkan [MSFT] wrote: this is not a common scenario and did not come up as a reason to keep HW profiles in Vista.This is less and less true as more Mac users combine parallels and bootcamp to boot their Windows partition. There is a lot of demand for Vista support on the parallels forums. Some examples:http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=9496http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=12616http://forum.parallels.com/thread16064.html#post82524Anyways, I grant the original problem solved by hardware profiles is now almost inexistent, but this use of virtualization is gaining a lot of attention lately, maybe putting profiles back into Vista could be worth the effort, SP2 maybe =). My two cents.Thanks for the prompt answer,naju
March 31st, 2008 12:06am

Thanks Great points, virtualization has changed the ball game in many ways. I have no insight into Windows client OS planning. Suggest you post to the Vista Forum using a subject like DCR suggestion for Windows Client and make sure to explain the scenarios. Thanks for your persistence and time to explain this to me. Brjann
March 31st, 2008 5:12am

Brjann,Thanks for the advice, I have done as you suggested:http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3175694&SiteID=17&mode=1P.S. It has been a while since your post, but better late than never =)
April 15th, 2008 2:54am

As has so often been the case, security was sacrificed for no "obvious" reason. As a security professional, one of my biggest headaches is mobile computing devices.They pose some especially difficult challenges. Onethreat that must be mitigated is the potential of hardware cross-connect. Ifboth the wired and wirelessnetwork interfaces are allowed to function simultaneously,corporate (or government) networkscan be directly connected to commercial ISPs, or worse, bypassing firewallsand otherdefensive mechanisms.Pretty stupid, huh? I've witnessedevents where this scenario took place and it wasn't pretty - especially the cleanup. Using hardwareprofiles in XP PRO has been an acceptedmethod for protecting against thiswell known threat.I will tell you that many government agencies have wrestled with building a "secure" VISTA configuration and this is just one or manyissues standing in the way of success.In fact, VISTA has so many vulnerabilities, that I believe DOD will eventually scrap all plans of upgrading and wait for the next iteration in the WIN-X line. Is it any wonder that MScatches so much flak for failing to engineer security into their products?
August 16th, 2008 1:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics