hardware fault the system has been halted.
I've just recently started getting this "hardware fault the system has been halted" on physical console logon. The server is setup in TS app mode, dns, dhcp and as member server. The error only occurs at the console, RDP to console/admin session does not create the error. The event log lists no hardware errors in the event log except for the usual "processor" error. "Some processor performance power management features have been disabled due to a known firmware problem" So I've disable CE1 in the BIOS so that shouldn't be an issue. This error first started occuring on swapping of a USB external backup drives. Suspecting that the controller in the ext disk was bad so I replaced all three ext backup disks with new terabyte ones. No problem on disk change any more. So next was thing was to try determine what is different between a RDP console session and physical login. Mouse keyboard KVM. right? I've removed the KVM as a possible source. Removed serial connector to smart ups 2200 also as I remembered that was an issue during installation. Tried a different PS2 keyboard and USB mouse. Occasionally I can get logged in to physical console and work for several minutes but at some point hardware fault occurs. This error almost alway occurs within seconds of logging into the console. If I don't log onto the physical console it will run weeks or longer without fail. RAM has been tested, raid array parity checked. I've changed out CD/DVD drive. Things I have yet to do. Remove ext the external USB drive on login with PS2 KB/mouse (no usb devices). Change to USB only KB/mouse, no PS2 connected kb/mouse. And finally change out power supply. Any other suggestions anyone? OS is 64 bit R2 enterprise fully up to date. Running office 2010 beta, Quickbooks, Simply, Caseware, Profile, Acrobat 9, SQL2008 express and etc. No local printers attached. The hardware is as follows: Intel SE7525 RP2 with 2 Xeon 2.8ghz processors 6GB kingston RAM ECC 1 kit of KVR400D2S8R3K2/4G 1 kit of KVR400D2S8R3K2/2G Lsilogic pci-e megaraid 8208ELP SAS/SATA controller 5 x WD1500HLFS 10k drives in RAID 10 with hot spare 3 External 1TB usb 2 backup disks Cmedia add-in PCI sound card APC smart ups 2200
June 25th, 2010 8:12pm

Hello jmatwyko, Are the BIOS and the hardware drivers up to date? Best regards, Harry This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 25th, 2010 8:37pm

10-4
June 25th, 2010 10:01pm

To narrow down the cause, I suggest testing in Safe Mode first. What’s the result? If the issue doesn’t occur, it may be caused by a disabled third party driver or software. Try to test Clean Boot, does it occur? If not, you can enable half disabled service or startup programs each time to find the root cause. Thanks.This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 29th, 2010 1:03pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics