going thin client
Hello, this question is too complex for answering here. Please use either a consulting company or Microsoft support. They are able to provide you a solution for your specific requirements. You have to realize that a thin client connect to a Terminal server, where the actual applications are installed and you work. Also the thinclient OS is just for small use, mostly to provide the connection to the Terminal server, nothing more. A small harddisk is maybe contained but also a boot installation disk can be used without any internal harddrive. We use thinclients without any harddisk, only a CD provide the hardened connection option with smartcard as first authentication to the Terminal server farm.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
January 13th, 2011 7:20pm

We are going thin client, maybe, and I need some help. How is this done what software do I need we are going to phase out or hardware on an AS NEEDED basis. We need windows as the applications that we use are windows based. We don't have a large budget and need to a solution that is practical and wont take a lot of time to test. I was thinking of Windows Embedded 7 but I still don't know how to get the licensing figured out, I can't seem to get a straight answer from anyone.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2011 7:21pm

As Meinolf described, your question is very difficult to answer via a forum. It requires detailed knowledge of your network, applications, business requirements, etc... Moving to thin client technology is not an easy undertaking. If you do reach out to a vendor, you should ask for references and talk to others that have done this. There is a whole spectrum of ways to design this from virtualizing the apps to streaming the entire OS to a thin client. Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
January 13th, 2011 7:50pm

Hi , I was in thin client developement for quite a time. You have to understand a) why do you need a thin client ?, is that because you want to cut cost ? or for security reason ? b) thin clients run on flash memory which is the reason you will not be able to run applications on them. You have to access applications which are hosted ( citrix , xen etc.. ) c) You have tremendous advantage over desktops with respect to power. ideally you have 4 GB diskspace with 2 GB ram for windows 7 - again this depends on how you want to customize. You can engage a free demo with a) WYSE b) HP c) Igel
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 13th, 2011 9:08pm

Thank you all very much for the insight. I will contact a local consultant to see what information they would need and go from there.
January 18th, 2011 6:19pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics