general dumb file permission question
Hi, One of the staff came and asked me about the abilty to lock a PDF file so only one person can read it at a time from a network share. It's considered a book so we can only have one copy open at a time .... can anyone make a suggestion as to the best way to do that from a win 2003 server shared folder? I can get the file on to the server OK but what's the best way to share it and then so only one person can look at it at a time .... out of 5 people. Thanks ..... Brian.
June 13th, 2012 5:54pm

Hello, You can use the option "limit the number of concurrent user to". By default it's 20, you can set it to 1 and check. Please also check the below Microsoft KB article. Limit the Number of Users of a Shared Folder http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753521.aspx Thanks Zhang
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 12:28am

Hi Zhang, Tried that and still two ppl were able to open the file in the folder. Was something not done properly? Brian
June 14th, 2012 12:31pm

Having never been asked to limit concurrent connections on a share I tested this out as well. I used 2008 R2 in with a root level share, set the users limit to "1" and tried to open a .txt doc in that folder from 2 Win 7 Pro Workstations on 2 separate domain user accounts. I was also presented no restriction and both were granted access to the file.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 14th, 2012 6:23pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics