fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo
I am working on Formatting drives on windows 2008 ent server. Initially i did format the drives with ntfs allocation unit size 64k. i got a note from my colleague that this is required for sql, exch app drives only . Again i formatted drives with ntfs default by using GUI . Prob is when i did " fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo drive name " the out put showing on bytes for cluster size as 65536 instead of 4096. i did restarted server couple of time and formatted the drives again with ntfs default but still the command showing the same output . what went wrong ?
August 5th, 2010 5:54pm

how big is the drive? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/140365 shows the default values based on size. did you try to delete the volume and recreate it?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2010 8:10pm

Hmmm, does chkdsk show the same? If you do chkdsk <drive> What is reported by this line, 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. You may want to use the logical disk manager to recreate the partition with block size of 4096 bytes. -- Mike Burr
August 5th, 2010 8:16pm

Drives are 1gb, 8 gb. no i didnt tried to delete and re create the disks . what i did is initially i formatted the drive with ntfs 64k and then i formatted again with ntfs with default.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 5th, 2010 11:05pm

i did diskpart with filesystems command. it shows the same as fsutil fsino ntfs info.
August 5th, 2010 11:07pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics