force a desktop
is it possible to force one specific desktop on a specific computer regardless of user login
March 3rd, 2010 11:36pm

Yes, you can rename the ntuser.dat file to ntuser.man, which turns the profile into a mandatory one. Users can make changes to the deskop while they are logged on, but when they log off, the changes are discarded.If you go one step further and set up the computer and do this to the "Default Profile", all new profiles wil become mandatory. Otherwise, you can do it on a case by case basis.If all of your profiles need to be identical on the domain, you can place a copy of the Default Mandatory profile in the NetLogon folder and all new profiles will all be identicle. Be Careful though, you wont have a way to revert using that method.Alternatively, you can create a Mandatory, Roaming profile and manage the roaming profile from a central location. This way you can make changes to it as time passes and your users will always get the latest profile that you have updated.There is alot of information on this topic on the web.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 4th, 2010 12:57am

Let me tell you what i need to accomplish better that I have. Right now we use a Novell server. When people log in the login into novell and then log in to the workstation. the workstation login is always staff. employees can login to novel with their own names and have access to their resources while the workstation logs in as staff as all users must use the staff acct at the reception desk. Different people man the desk but sometimes choose to access their network resources on the novell server. I need to mimmick this behavior now logging into a windows server instead.
March 4th, 2010 1:04am

I am not familiar with Novell at all, but based on your description, I still think that your employees should still login to this "shared" computer using their own userID. If you want the profile to look the same for everyone that logs in, then simply modify the Default Profile to become mandatory as I suggested. This way, everyone gets the same profile and cannot make changes.Otherwise, if the workstation is logged on with one account, the employees,while logged on as the "staff" ID would have to use shortcuts or map network drives that already have the "connect as" information pre-stored. I don't see this as a solution.I am going to stick with my first recommendation.Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 5th, 2010 5:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics