folder redirection listed as documents instead of the username
Hi there, this is our environment: - Server 2008 - Windows XP Pro - Windows 7 Pro basically we set up user's folder redirection group policy and the user's folder was created ok with their username as the folder name. example: Let's say a user John Doe has a username of jdoe and logs in to the XP machine. When he go to My Computer , he will see a new drive H:\ and it will contain his my document etc. and his user folder on the server is located here: \\server_name\user$\jdoe now, we purchased some new PCs with windows 7 pro on it and things work a bit different. the stuff still works as the example above and if the John go to \\server_name\user$\ , he will be able to see a folder called jdoe . BUT if I log in to the win server 2008 and try to find the user's folder ... I can't. instead of jdoe , I have Documents listed as the folder name. the only way I can access his folder is by trying/opening each individual documents folder and see if I got the right one. or check the permission of each documents folder to see which one he got access to or access the "folder" directly by typing in ...\jdoe on the address bar --> this is happening for any user who logs in via the new windows 7 PC. since this "view" only happening on any of our Windows 2008 server, Group Policy is not an issue (I think). On client PC (XP and 7), we can go to \\server_name\user$\ but no folder called documents and everything else looks normal (all folder named according to the user account). Can someone shed any lights on why windows 2008 displays the folder name as document ? any help is appreciated. Further details on the configuration: group policy containing the folder redirection applied: User config > Policies > Windows Settings > Folder redirection > Documents (properties) Target tab setting: Basic - Redirect everyone's folder to the same location Target Folder location: Create a folder for each user under the root path root path: \\server_name\user$ settings tab [v] also apply redirection policy to windows 2000 ... Policy removal: redirect the folder back to the local userprofile location when policy is removed In addition to the group policy, we also connect the home folder to H:\ under ADUC: - in Active Directory Users and Computers, open up the properties of the user - under profile tab, set the home folder as: connect H: to \\server_name\user$\%username%Andrew P.
November 15th, 2010 9:49pm

Haven't tried this with Windows XP, but it might be the case that XP makes some assumptions about profile creation which Windows 7 doesn't. Try modifying the root path in the GPO to \\server_name\users$\%USERNAME% I run this for my Windows 7 clients and it creates a folder at the share level for each user, with all redirected folders existing beneath that.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 17th, 2010 7:40pm

well, on the policy it was set as: Redirectr everyone's folder to the same location: \\server_name\user$\%username% even though When we edit it, the %username% bit doesn't appear on the field but appear on the settings tab on group policy management console. also, under the target folder location section, we choose create a folder for each user under the root path . again, this folder is created fine. it's just that when viewd via windows explorer on any win server 2008 they're all displayed as Documents .Andrew P.
November 17th, 2010 9:22pm

Can you try creating a test GPO based on the old folder redirection GPO, and make it exactly the same but untick the "Also apply redirection policy to Windows 2000...etc" option, and then try it on a Windows 7 machine with a user who doesn't have a personal folder under the users$ share. It would be interesting to know whether the behaviour is exactly the same.
November 17th, 2010 11:32pm

Hi, I realize that you have set both folder redirection and profile location to \\server_name\user$\%username%. I would like to explain that Documents folder is already included in user profile. If you set the Documents folder redirection to the same location, it may cause some conflicts. Based on the current situation, I would like to suggest you disable one of these settings to check the result. Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 18th, 2010 12:27am

thanks for that Arthur, but I didn't redirect my user's profile folder. I think you misunderstood when I mentioned the profile tab in ADUC. that's basically says "connect H:\ to \\server_name\user$\%username%"Andrew P.
November 18th, 2010 1:18am

Hi, Sorry for my mistaken. According to my test, it works. Comparing the path in Group Policy Management, in my test, it is \\server_name\user$\%username%\Documents instead of yours \\server_name\user$\%username%. Please capture the screenshots of the Documents Properties under Folder redirection and the Profile tab of User’s Properties for our further research. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following link: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65 Would you please also upload GPMC log via SkyDrive for analyzing. Collect GPMC log ============ 1. On domain controller, click Start -> Run, type GPMC.MSC, it will load the GPMC console. If the GPMC snap-in is not installed. 2. Right click on "Group Policy Result" and choose wizard to generate a report for the problematic computer and user account (please place appropriately). (Choose computer and select the proper user in the wizard) 3. Right click the resulting group policy result and click the "Save Report…" => save report and upload it to SkyDrive. Regards, Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
November 19th, 2010 2:14am

sorry for the late reply. we're pretty swamped with other issues. I haven't tested this since we need to settle a few server issues. in the meantime ... if I changed it to \\server_name\user$\%username\documents , will that means the path will be changed? at the moment we have our H:\ and the "My Documents" short cut in XP pointing to the same place: \\server_name\user$\%username% I'm pretty sure there will be at least 1 user that has shortcuts pointing to that and its subfolder. let's say we changed it to \\server_name\user$\%username%\Documents , this will have no effect on H:\ but the path to the "My Documents " will changed with 1 additional sub-folder. will this broke the shortcuts? and what will happen with all the already existing files and folders that are currently in \\server_name\user$\%username% ?Andrew P.
November 22nd, 2010 1:19am

Hi, Please check if the following Microsoft KB article can fix the issue for you: When you redirect the Documents folder on a Windows Vista-based or Windows 7-based computer to a network share, the folder name unexpectedly changes back to Documents http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947222 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 3:56am

Yes it is. But then it will create and redirected the documents (my doc on xp) to a new subfolder of the original place. I've done some testing and it just ignore whatever files and folders I previously have. So the documents folder (my doc on xp) will show as empty. Is there a way to remove the existing content to the new location?Andrew P.
December 1st, 2010 4:36am

Hi, Please refer to the following thread and check if the steps can fix the issue for you: Folder Redirection http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS/thread/7119fc5b-8dba-4a82-bd7f-041431153904 Regards,Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
December 1st, 2010 8:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics