feature 'SQL_Tools_ANS' failed during request for component

Hey all,

I need a bit of help figuring this one out.

I installed SQL express 2012 for my Veeam server as a requirement. This server had a separate HDD that was used as a CIFS share for myself and other IT users to store Software Binaries.

I removed the disc as a local disc, and instead created it as a iSCSI disc, to share out the CIFS to move it to another SAN with dedicated space.

When I readded the disc to the VM, I changed its mount path from D:\ to S:\

Since making this change MSI has been complaining about the event listed in the topic:
Event 1001:

Detection of product '{A7037EB2-F953-4B12-B843-195F4D988DA1}', feature 'SQL_Tools_ANS' failed during request for component '{6E985C15-8B6D-413D-B456-4F624D9C11C2}'

Event 1004:

Detection of product '{A7037EB2-F953-4B12-B843-195F4D988DA1}', feature 'SQL_SSMS_Adv', component '{E5CB3372-306D-4879-B27B-AF83B1A4921E}' failed.  The resource 'D:\' does not exist.

As you can tell its complaining stating that D:\ doesn't exist..

I also followed this blog, and this MS KB article... So I am now on SQL 2012 express SP1 CU2 and the event still appear.

My question is how can I get these MSIexec events to stop without remounting my software repo to D:\?

September 2nd, 2015 3:59pm

Def love how TechNet links other similar articles...

I found this one...

Can I run the setup.exe /Action=Uninstall from my S:\SQLBinary without breaking my Veeam DB instance?

or would I have to backup my instance and DB's? cause I really don't want to have to redo all my backsups.. I mean I 'd have them but I'd have to reimport all the info via veeam then...

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 2nd, 2015 4:08pm

Hi Zewwy,

In your scenario, if you uninstall all the SQL Server features, you will need to back up all the user databases and restore the database after reinstalling SQL Server. However, if you uninstall SQL Server features except "database engine service", you dont have to  back up user databases.

In addition, please note that it is recommended to back up user databases regularly in SQL Server in order to use backups for recovery in any unexpected scenarios.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

September 4th, 2015 7:28am

Nice to see another rep mark their own reply as the answer.

I unmarked your reply as the answer for the following reasons:

Your reply was simply based on my second reply, which was based on another thread, which sort of had an answer as to how to clear the issue.

To Paraphrase the solution:

either kill mgmt tool installation manually, and reboot?

Or install the listed patch. which as I had mentioned initially I had installed, and it did not resolve the issue.

Since I didn't want to waste time removing services, or re-installing SQL, for the time being I simply remapped our Software repo back to D:\

So even this is not an answer to my question since I had asked how to resolve the issue without mapping my drive back to D:\.

I find this issue pretty crappy on MS's part, like since when have you installed an application that required you to maintain the original source of the binaries, what if I had installed this application via a DVD?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 14th, 2015 5:11pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics