failed to retrieve text for this error

Hi,

I've recently set up a new SQL 2008 server, but I've noticed that whenever an error is generated the full text for the error is not displayed, instead I get the message "(failed to retrieve text for this error. reason 15105)"

For example, I just tried to reattach a database but mistyped the filename, I got this error:

------------------------------

Unable to open the physical file "[My bad Filename]". Operating system error 2: "2(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)". (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5120)

Why does sql fail to retrieve the text, and more to the point what do I need to change to fix this problem?

TIA!

February 14th, 2011 11:46am

Run below on cmd

C:\>net helpmsg 2
The system cannot find the file specified.

Operating system error 2 = "The system cannot find the file specified"

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 14th, 2011 11:52am

No, you miss my point.  I don't need to know what the error is, I need to know why SQL is responding with "failed to retrieve text for this error.  Reason: 15105".

February 14th, 2011 12:26pm

Hi PSH76,

Thank you for your post.

For this issue, I would like to suggest you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link _https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Thanks,
Weilin Qiao

February 17th, 2011 6:55am

Hi PSH76,

Thank you for your post.

For this issue, I would like to suggest you submit a feedback to the Microsoft Connect at this link _https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/Feedback. Your feedback enables Microsoft to make software and services the best that they can be, and you can learn about and contribute to exciting projects.

Thanks,
Weilin Qiao

February 21st, 2011 2:16pm

Hi PSH76,
Sorry for the delay in response.
To display the error message, SQL makes windows API call. If the call fails due to some reason we write that message.
Does it happen all the time for all OS errors?

Below is the meaning of 15105
C:\Users\BLakhani>net helpmsg 15105
The resource loader cache doesn't have loaded MUI entry.

To be very frank, i don't know cause of 15105 but it would be interesting to troubleshoot if this happens with all OS errors in SQL Error Log. 

February 21st, 2011 4:56pm

Yes, it does happen with all OS errors.

Furthermore, I've just realised that the same thing also happens with our SQL Server 2005. Here's a sample error message that I had this morning:

Executed as user: [my username]. Cannot open backup device '[my backup path]'. Operating system error 5(error not found). [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3201)  BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally. [SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 3013).

Notice that it says 'error not found' where it SHOULD say 'access is denied'.  Now I know that I can keep firing up a cmd shell and using net helpmsg every time I encounter an error but I know that SQL Server can and should display the error message there for me.  This indicates that something isn't set up correctly on my box, and that bothers me.

I suspect by the way that Reason 15105 is DIFFERENT than Error 15105 which is reported by net helpmsg, in which case the 'resource loader cache' error is not relevant to this problem.

February 25th, 2011 10:26am

Resurrecting an old post. I suspect there are two problems in this forum post.

The first problem I suspect is that error 15105 is (still) not present within sys.messages. I suspect error 15105 is hard-coded in SQL Server's binaries (which if true, would be a poor coding practice and arguably a minor SQL Server bug).

The second suspected problem is that the sqlservr.exe startup account does not have sufficient rights to get an OS error message's text. I suspect the missing right is SeAssignPrimaryTokenPrivilege (which is a documented need within SQL Server's "Configure Windows Service Accounts and Permissions" topic).
August 11th, 2015 3:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics