failed to restore VM (saved using Hyper-V 2008) from a library to SCVMM 2012

I stored VM  with a checkpoint in a library using Hyper-V 2008 running on Windows 2008 R2 server OS. I forgot to enable the different processor compatibility option. Then I reinstalled Windows 2012 R2 on the same host and installed SCVMM 2012.

When I tried to deploy VM from the library the system responded with error:

VMM cannot migrate or clone the virtual machine XXXXXXXX because the version (6.3.9600.17787) of the virtualization software on the destination host (YYYYYYY) does not match the version of the virtualization software on the source host (6.1.7601.17514). To migrate or clone the virtual machine, the virtual machine must be stopped. The virtual machine cannot be in a saved state, and cannot contain any checkpoints that were created when the virtual machine was in a running or saved state.           

Is there a way to circumvent  this situation and restore VM?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mark

May 26th, 2015 12:04pm

It is all about the VM stored in the Library being in a saved state and not powered off.

I don't know if simply deleting the memory file that is causing the issue will resolve it. Because I don't know if SCVMM will update the VM properties if a memory state is not detected. (.BIN and .VSV need to be deleted)

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 26th, 2015 12:28pm

Hi Sir,

>>The virtual machine cannot be in a saved state, and cannot contain any checkpoints that were created when the virtual machine was in a running or saved state.

If the issue still persists I would suggest you to copy them out and manually merge the snapshots then create a new VM and attach merged vhd then start it up again :

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6257.manually-merge-avhd-to-vhd-in-hyper-v.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton Ji

May 30th, 2015 12:46am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics