export column transform says my file names are invalid or a device

Hi we run std 2008 r2.  I'm looking at the files this transform is complaining about.   They seem to be named appropriately.  The customerid folders don't exist when this runs.  I'm going to put one in place to see if that is the problem.

The errors i'm getting are...

[Export Column [22]] Error: The file name "c:\users\myuserid\theprojectname\customerid\afilename.doc" is not valid. The file name is a device or contains invalid characters.

[Export Column [22]] Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_INDUCEDTRANSFORMFAILUREONERROR.  The "component "Export Column" (22)" failed because error code 0xC020207F occurred,
and the error row disposition on "input column "FILENAME" (29)" specifies failure on error. An error occurred on the specified object of the specified component. 
There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

[SSIS.Pipeline] Error: SSIS Error Code DTS_E_PROCESSINPUTFAILED.  The ProcessInput method on component "Export Column" (22) failed with error code 0xC0209029
while processing input "Export Column Input" (23). The identified component returned an error from the ProcessInput method. The error is specific to the component,
but the error is fatal and will cause the Data Flow task to stop running.  There may be error messages posted before this with more information about the failure.

April 29th, 2015 5:11pm

ok it looks like ssis wanted customerid folders in place before the files were to be created.  So I guess the question is "can this transform do that if some property is selected or do I need a separate component to create those before the export column transforms runs?"
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 29th, 2015 5:16pm

If you turn off the ValidateMetadata on the task that attempts to access the folder, it should be ok... as long as the folder does exist by the time it accesses it.... have a create directory task just after you identify the customerid (with a check to see if it exists already)

April 29th, 2015 7:17pm

If you turn off the ValidateMetadata on the task that attempts to access the folder, it should be ok... as long as the folder does exist by the time it accesses it.... have a create directory task just after you identify the customerid (with a check to see if it exists already)

• Marked as answer by db042190 16 hours 45 minutes ago
April 29th, 2015 11:13pm

thx RyanAB.  I'm thinking I don't need to shut off ValidateMetadata.  The export column task doesn't know what folders are involved till it runs.  And I'll be putting some kind of folder creating file task prior to the dft.  What do u think?

• Edited by db042190 19 hours 33 minutes ago clarity
April 30th, 2015 7:30am

this worked without shutting off ValidateMetadata. 

I placed an exec sql task two components ahead of the dft.  It loads the customerid population into an ado enumerator object. 

Following that I put a for each loop that maps each cust id to a var (var 1).  I also added a var (var 2) that thru an expression always becomes the full path thru and including the folder name in var1. 

Inside the for each loop I put a file task that uses var2 to create each cust folder. 

• Marked as answer by db042190 16 hours 45 minutes ago
April 30th, 2015 10:22am

Fair enough although it would suggest the path is valid by default. Just be aware that should it moan, then turn off the validatemetatdata
April 30th, 2015 4:03pm

thx Ryan.
April 30th, 2015 4:24pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics