export and import GPO
Hi All: The current server group policy is set by ex-engineer. Now I want to review what are all the Policy he set. so where should I start? 1: How can I export all the GPO? 2: How can I import to a new server? Thanks.
May 31st, 2009 10:21pm

Hi Isaac: I cannot find Group Policy Management shortcut in the Administrative Tools, means I haven't install GPMC on this server right? Is it other ways can export out the group policy using the default program? this is the live server, I don't have test server to test this program, will worry anything wrong will cause the server down. Hope you understand it. Thanks for reply my question.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 31st, 2009 11:24pm

Yes, that means GPMC is not yet installed. You need to download and install GPMC to better manage gpo. I am not sure if you can export without GPMC, but you can try to go to the specific OU/Site object, right click properties, Select Group Policy tab, click open.GPMC will do no harm as long as you are not making any changes etc..YOu can use it to view, export etcIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
May 31st, 2009 11:33pm

Isaac: Yes, i am able to go to each OU->Properties->Group Policy tab to see what is the policy there. The difficulty I face is when I open the Group Policy Object Editor, there are Computer Configuration and User Configuration, (Don't really know what is the different between this two). And under each menu there are so many sub menus. What I really need is only list me out all the Policy which is enable? Do you think is possible to do so? Thanks.
May 31st, 2009 11:42pm

Hello,The computer configuration shows you the active domain computer policies via GPO and vice versa for user configurations. You can right click and save report if you need to. Click on submenu to see more details of which policy is being applied and settingsIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
June 1st, 2009 12:00am

Isaac: Can you tell me more detail, where I can save the report? I am only interested the settings which are enable, or disabled, NOT ALL the setting in each menu. When I click the Policy name and export, this is the text file export out? Name Computer Configuration User Configuration thanks all your time reply my post.
June 1st, 2009 12:17am

Hello,You can either export/saveas xml or html file but GPMC will probably give you more optios. All what you see are the defined policies (Enabled/Disabled). If a policy is not defined, it will not show on the GPO settings.Isaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
June 1st, 2009 12:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics