events & data recovery in windows 2003
we have a windows 2003 server.We have 2 shared folders in this server.Folder 1 - backed up dailyFolder 2 - never backed upNow an IT technician working on this server locally & trying to restructure the folders & files in "folder 2", he was "cutting & pasting" & during this process lost some very important corporate information.He didnt delete them, he claims he only "cut & paste" during this process the folders & files were lost.Now, we have used every recovery tool in the book, we can find folders & files deleted before & afterthis accident but none of these particular files & folders.Please tell me1. is there a way to track what happened through event viewer?2. anyways to recover these filesplease help, his job is on the lineThank You.cmatphilip
July 13th, 2009 10:32am

Hello,never heard or seen that during cut&paste something was lost. Either the datawhere deleted before or after the job, but not during.You can only see it in the event viewer when you have enabled auditing on the folder level for the user accounts or security groups you need, of course before.Well, if you already have used some recovery software and didn't find anything from the important data, you can always try a special recovery company, i know they are expensive, but if the data is really important thats the only way.Is there an overview what special data is missing and if that is so important, why isn't it in the backup list of your company???Really strange you find deleted data from before and after the job BUT NOTHING from that folders/files.Sorry for your colleague. But maybe someone will get him out of the company and tried it this way??? Just my open thoughts.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 13th, 2009 11:41pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics