event 500, performance
hi, need to know what to do to fix this problem. in the event viewer under windows diagnostics-performance operational , i found 1714 events "500". here is what it says, Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Performance/OperationalSource: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-PerformanceDate: 3/4/2008 7:17:43 PMEvent ID: 500Task Category: Desktop Window Manager MonitoringLevel: WarningKeywords: Event LogUser: LOCAL SERVICEComputer: Jenson-PCDescription:The Desktop Window Manager is experiencing heavy resource contention. Scenario:The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded. what is this and what should i do about it ? anyone.....anyone ? thank you
March 6th, 2008 4:20am

Could you please post the hardware specs of the machine in which you are getting this error? Also is this Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 6th, 2008 4:53am

Hi, Based on my research, Event ID 500 is mostly caused by the over-use of graphics subsystem, which is controlled by dwm.exe process. Dwm.exe is a Desktop Window Manager and is responsible for the graphical effects in Windows operating system such as 3D effects, live windows previews and windows transparencies. I suggest turning off all 'Aero' features, like using Classic Windows appearance instead of Windows Aero feature, stopping using 3D desktop and so on, to reduce the excessive system resource occupancy. If possible, you could extend RAM to increase the system performance to test if this event still persists. I hope this helps. Best wishes --------------Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support
March 6th, 2008 1:46pm

THANK YOU VERY MUCH MORGAN I'LL GIVE THAT A TRY, THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLY. STEVE
March 6th, 2008 2:20pm

Now i know that this really sounds lame, but how do you turn from aero to classic in WinVista?? My message in Event Properties "The desktop manager is experiencing heavy resource retention. The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded. Op Code: Video Memory Degradation. Gary Cook
March 22nd, 2008 10:03am

Hi, check this : http://www.vistaclues.com/turn-off-the-fancy-windows-vista-aero-interface/ or http://www.direct-laptops-guide.com/turn-off-windows-vista-aero.html HTH, Tarek _____________________________Tarek Majdalani Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista MVP -- ISA Firewalls Website : http://www.elmajdal.net/Win2k8
March 22nd, 2008 7:36pm

Thank u Tarek. Exactly what I needed. Gary
March 23rd, 2008 11:13am

Hi, Glad to help and thanks for the follow up Thanks, Tarek _____________________________Tarek Majdalani Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista MVP -- ISA Firewalls Website : http://www.elmajdal.net/Win2k8
March 23rd, 2008 11:28am

Hi Morgan, This is very helpful. One more question, how do I extend the RAM? Thanks! Phil
April 21st, 2008 1:07am

HI.Can you advise if this is a feature iof vista or is it related to a specific problem. I have the same error appearing and my system has almost ground to a halt. This never used to happen. My pc recently went for repair (graohics card was replaced) and hasnt been the same since it came back. Can someone advise if this problem is down to hardware problems and if so what hardware is at fault. Also another strange problem, my back up SATA harddrive is not visible anymore. If i physically unplug it then plug the power back in with the system running and scan for hardware changes it appears for a short while although when trying to access it it takes forever. If i try to back up to this drive it stops after a short while and windows no longer sees it there. I intend to back up everything and re-instal my system but am worried now that my back up drive may be faulty and if i do so will lose all my data.Any info would be greatly appreciated
August 3rd, 2008 12:45am

same problem.events 500 and 501(The Desktop Window Manager responsiveness has degraded.Graphics subsystem resources are over-utilized.)every single hour at same minutes following this two events at same second.config:OS Windows 7 7000 x64System RAM 8 GBVideo radeon 4870x2 (1x1 gig of video ram) -- 1920x1080 driver wddm 1.1 w7 beta 8.12 nForce 780a SLI (256 mb video ram) -- 1280x1024 driver wddm 1.1 Total Available Graphic Memory: 3835 MB Dedicated Video Memory: 1024 MB System Video Memory: 0 Shared System Memory: 2811 MBMotherboard Asus M3N-HT Deluxe.PSU 1200wCPU phenom 9950.When integrated video was disabled (bios), I see same events, butDisplay driver atikmdag stopped responding error(TDR) many times and usually without success recovering (5-7 TDR at same time with BSOD finally)All this happen before on Vista x64..Catalyst 9.1 doesn't working proper,ATIUMDAGcrash in some games..No one of this problems on integrated GPU if used alone. I set to this one GPU two my monitors with max resolution and all visual effects enabled (aero) -- no problem..Right now have no more critical errors except this two events. And also sometime I hear some breaks in music after some games played. Like some driver(device) holding buss at long time but without error messages, every 10-30 seconds. (need restart windows to restore).I did not tested my radeon with some other windows like XP or vista x32.There is two possibly problems:1) Buggy catalyst driver (really buggy,starting from installation, because ati students write it in VisualStudio and installation conflict with C++ 2008 redistributable packages installed separately before. I never thing they are so stupid to do important driver at this way. Somebody teach them assembler language and independent development to make sure all driver components included in installer)2) Buggy WDDM (possibly if same errors happen in different configurations (video brands) with large video ram on board. It can use more from available memory/buffer size. I hear there was some problem with allocated memory size but MS fixed it, or not? ).Sorry for my bad english :)
February 11th, 2009 5:46am

Check for the latest drivers for your graphics and make sure you are using the correct system bus and motherboard drivers. When the tek installed the new graphics card he may have used drivers from the card manufacturer that changed your bus drivers also or just replaced them with generic MS System Bus drivers. All you can do about the DWM contention is backoff on all the special effects. Glass and a transparent taskbar suckup resources. You may have a bios setting that alows you to increase the shared mem for graphics. The DWM thing is not such abig deal until you start running a bunch of applications or you are playing a really resource intensive game.
June 13th, 2010 6:23am

I am the exact same problem. And that didn't work for me I was using the classic windows look all day today. Not only that I turned off the Aero features 2 days ago because it annoyed me and I have not enabled the 3d effects yet. I've got plenty of ram, a dual core processor, an OK graphics card and it's a brand new HP laptop. plus my event numbers range anywhere from 100 to 700 Of course, it's just my opinion....I could be wrong!
June 13th, 2010 12:30pm

Hi, Based on my research, Event ID 500 is mostly caused by the over-use of graphics subsystem, which is controlled by dwm.exe process. Dwm.exe is a Desktop Window Manager and is responsible for the graphical effects in Windows operating system such as 3D effects, live windows previews and windows transparencies. I suggest turning off all 'Aero' features, like using Classic Windows appearance instead of Windows Aero feature, stopping using 3D desktop and so on, to reduce the excessive system resource occupancy. If possible, you could extend RAM to increase the system performance to test if this event still persists. I hope this helps. Best wishes -------------- Morgan Che Microsoft Online Community Support Sure worked well for me 3D on Max. Thanks
September 16th, 2010 11:37pm

thanksKen
September 17th, 2010 1:56am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics