error 415 trying to add hyper v server 2012 to SCVMM 2012

You cannot add win 2012 Hyper-V hosts to VMM 2012 , it is only possible with the SC VMM 2012 SP1

http://technet.microsoft.com/library/gg610649.aspx

regards

Niklas

• Edited by vNiklasMVP Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Proposed as answer by vNiklasMVP Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Marked as answer by DAH69 Friday, October 05, 2012 10:16 AM
October 4th, 2012 7:27pm

You cannot add win 2012 Hyper-V hosts to VMM 2012 , it is only possible with the SC VMM 2012 SP1

regards

Niklas

• Edited by vNiklasMVP Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:33 PM
  • Proposed as answer by vNiklasMVP Thursday, October 04, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Marked as answer by DAH69 Friday, October 05, 2012 10:16 AM
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 4th, 2012 7:27pm

I have an install of hyper v server 2012 that I want to use to host various machines. This the core install not a Windows Server 2012 with the Hyper V Role. I also have SCVMM2012 installed on an Windows Server 2008 R2 machine because SCVMM2012 is not supported on server 2012 until SP1, not due for several months. I can add Windows Server 2088R2 with Hyper-v role hosts to SCVMM machine, and I can connect to the hyper v serve r2012 box using hyper v manager on a windows 2008R2 machine, but I cannot add the hyper v server 2012 machine to SCVMM2012. Not sure how to start troubleshooting this one.

I receive this error:

Error (415)
Agent installation failed copying C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\agents\I386\3.0.6005.0\msiInstaller.exe to \\hsral-hyperv.hazenandsawyer.com\ADMIN$\msiInstaller.exe.
The network path was not found

Recommended Action
1. Ensure hsral-hyperv.hazenandsawyer.com is online and not blocked by a firewall.
2. Ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled on hsral-hyperv.hazenandsawyer.com and it not blocked by a firewall.
3. Ensure that there is sufficient free space on the system volume.
4. Verify that the ADMIN$ share on hsral-hyperv.hazenandsawyer.com exists. If the ADMIN$ share does not exist, reboot hsral-hyperv.hazenandsawyer.com and then try the operation again.

Warning (10444)
The VMM management server was unable to impersonate the supplied credentials.

Recommended Action
To add a host in a disjointed domain namespace, ensure that the credentials are valid and of a domain account. In addition, the SCVMMService must run as the local system account or a domain account with sufficient privileges to be able to impersonate other users.

October 4th, 2012 10:20pm

regards

Niklas

October 4th, 2012 10:27pm

well, bollocks to that! patiently wait I will.

Thanks Niklas!

October 5th, 2012 1:17pm

I am getting a similar error on SC VMM 2012 SP1.

Error (415)
Agent installation failed copying C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\agents\I386\3.1.3612.0\msiInstaller.exe to \\server1.domain.local\ADMIN$\msiInstaller.exe.

Recommended Action
1. Ensure server1.domain.local is online and not blocked by a firewall.
2. Ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled on server1.domain.local and it not blocked by a firewall.
4. Verify that the ADMIN$ share on devvhst074.devdomau.local exists. If the ADMIN$ share does not exist, reboot server1.domain.local and then try the operation again.

Warning (10444)

Recommended Action
To add a host in a disjointed domain namespace, ensure that the credentials are valid and of a domain account. In addition, the SCVMMService must run as the local system account or a domain account with sufficient privileges to be able to impersonate other users.

I did a Get-SMBShare to confirm ADMIN$ share is available.  Also did a "netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off" to disable firewall and there is sufficient space on the system volume.

I think is UNC path is not valid as it is using an FQDN but I don't have option to change that or is there?

Any suggestion is highly appreciated?

TIA.

• Edited by PinoyOz Monday, November 05, 2012 5:45 AM
November 5th, 2012 5:30am

Error (415)
Agent installation failed copying C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012\Virtual Machine Manager\agents\I386\3.1.3612.0\msiInstaller.exe to \\server1.domain.local\ADMIN$\msiInstaller.exe.

Recommended Action
2. Ensure that file and printer sharing is enabled on server1.domain.local and it not blocked by a firewall.
4. Verify that the ADMIN$ share on devvhst074.devdomau.local exists. If the ADMIN$ share does not exist, reboot server1.domain.local and then try the operation again.

Warning (10444)

Recommended Action

I did a Get-SMBShare to confirm ADMIN$ share is available.  Also did a "netsh advfirewall set allprofiles state off" to disable firewall and there is sufficient space on the system volume.

I think is UNC path is not valid as it is using an FQDN but I don't have option to change that or is there?

TIA.

• Edited by PinoyOz Monday, November 05, 2012 5:45 AM
November 5th, 2012 5:30am

Error (415)

Recommended Action

Warning (10444)

Recommended Action

TIA.

November 5th, 2012 8:30am

PinoyOz:

I am now geting this error also with same enviro SCVMM 2012 SP1. Did you ever get this resolved?

June 3rd, 2013 1:38pm

Hi

I had the same problem and it was the firewall on the hyper-v 2012 server blocking Access to the Admin$ share.

Solved this using "netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state off"

/ RK

• Edited by Rune K Monday, July 01, 2013 10:41 AM Wrong syntax
July 1st, 2013 10:06am

Hi

I had the same problem and it was the firewall on the hyper-v 2012 server blocking Access to the Admin$ share.

/ RK

• Edited by Rune K Monday, July 01, 2013 10:41 AM Wrong syntax
July 1st, 2013 10:06am

Hi

/ RK

July 1st, 2013 1:06pm

Same problem and solved with the "netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state off" but that turns off the firewall. Wy does Microsoft does not have configure the correct ports on there products like VMware does. (or makes a tool to do so with a standard script). This is why VMware is still nr 1 virtualization product. It is out of the box easy to configure. And even Citrix Xen server, RHEV and Proxmox are easy to setup in juist a hour. 

I will find the correct settings for the firewall. I think you must only open the proper ports for the VMM server to the Hyperv server so your network stays save. Shut down a firewall is not the way to go.

February 8th, 2014 9:14pm

Same problem and solved with the "netsh advfirewall set domainprofile state off" but that turns off the firewall. Wy does Microsoft does not have configure the correct ports on there products like VMware does. (or makes a tool to do so with a standard script). This is why VMware is still nr 1 virtualization product. It is out of the box easy to configure. And even Citrix Xen server, RHEV and Proxmox are easy to setup in juist a hour. 

I will find the correct settings for the firewall. I think you must only open the proper ports for the VMM server to the Hyperv server so your network stays save. Shut down a firewall is not the way to go.

So I think these are the ports that must configured on the Hyper-v server when it is registered into VMM. First you disable the firewall and connect the hyper-v server to VMM and after that you enable the firewall and open the following ports:

(also look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg710871.aspx)

TCP/8100 this the port VMM communicates with Hyperv server.

TCP/80 and /443  VMM management server to Load Balancer

TCP/5900 Machine Remote Control (VMRC) 

TCP/3389 RDP port (this will open when you configure remote console on the Hyperv server.

TCP/2197 Console connections (RDP) to virtual machines through Hyper-V hosts (VMConnect)

TCP/135 VMM management server to P2V source agent (control channel) (DCOM)

TCP/445 SMB  protocol

(If I forget a port, ore if you can skip a port that is already open, please let me know).

February 9th, 2014 3:21pm

It can be a number of things, check your IP address on the hyper-v server as sometimes the virtual switch the hyper v role installs can mess up the IP address of the hyper-v machine. once you have the IP address of the hyper v machine go to to your DNS server and check the hyper-v server host record. This worked for us as it was showing incorrect IP address for the hostname of our hyper-v server.

We were still getting this error even with the domain firewall solution so we checked the IP and DNS of the Hyper-V server and this solved our problem.

April 8th, 2015 5:22am

It can be a number of things, check your IP address on the hyper-v server as sometimes the virtual switch the hyper v role installs can mess up the IP address of the hyper-v machine. once you have the IP address of the hyper v machine go to to your DNS server and check the hyper-v server host record. This worked for us as it was showing incorrect IP address for the hostname of our hyper-v server.

We were still getting this error even with the domain firewall solution so we checked the IP and DNS of the Hyper-V server and this solved our problem.

April 8th, 2015 9:20am

April 8th, 2015 9:20am

You need to add the basic file shares to your Hyper-V Servers:

Add-WindowsFeature FS-FileServer

This enables the admin shares on Hyper-V Server / Windows Server Core.  The Admin share is not enabled by default.

April 27th, 2015 11:21am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics