domain setup
I am a little lost setting up server 2008. I managed on 2003 years ago, but I really don't know what I am doing now.I want active directoryweb serviceand the new ftp serviceI went through the wizards for the first 2.Part of seeting up active directory was to set up the server as a domain controller and a DNS server.So I made a domain homenetwork.netThis is all done on the same machine.I gave the server a static IP before all this of 192.168.1.98 and disables IPv6 simply because I don't know what IP to assign it.Everything seems to be setup for the server, so I go over to my Vista machine, right click my computer, and choose to change network ID in order to join the new domain.I type in my username, which I had previously added to active directory. I type in the domain name of homenetwork.netAn error occurs "windows cannot find an account for your computer in the homenetwork.net domain" and it has a dialog to enter my computer name and the domain name again. Which, I do. It then comes up with an error: "An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller for domain HOMENETWORK.NET. The error was: "No records found for given DNS query."(error code 0x0000251D DNS_INFO_NO_RECORDS) The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.HOMENETWORK.NET For more information, click Help."What did I do wrong?
November 22nd, 2009 4:53am

Hello,Since you don't have DHCP role on your server, input a static ip for the vista machinefrom same subnet as the domain controllerand make surepri dns should be the domain controller dnsIsaac Oben MCITP:EA, MCSE
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 22nd, 2009 7:47am

Hi ChrisThe problems and workarounds are discussed in this Microsoft Article:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300684Thanks... Deva --Self-trust is the first secret of success.
November 22nd, 2009 7:55am

There also seems to be some firewall issues only when changing the workstation to join the domain. When I turned off the firewall on the server it worked. Then I turned it back on and haven't had any issues. I did make my own DNS entry in windows firewall as well as using the built in entry, but the workstation wouldn't register until I turned the firewall off, then turned it on when done.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 22nd, 2009 10:10am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics