dism unmount with commit on offline image but changes are still in pending status when remounted
Using dism (6.1.7600.16385) on Windows 7 SP1 x64 to disable features in a offline Windows 2008 R2 wim image, executing cmd dism commands below: Before any changes: ServerCore-WOW64 | Enabled then feature is set to diabled: ServerCore-WOW64 | Disable Pending But when using the exact same commands to mount the wim again the feature is still in state: ServerCore-WOW64 | Disable Pending Am I missing something regarding, dism and offline wim images? One thought is that it only goes to state Disabled in a online scenario, which seems a bit unlogical but stranger things have been implemented in process flows before. Any ideas is appreciated. dism /Mount-WIM /WimFile:E:\images\windows2k8r2\w2k8r2\sources\install.wim /index:6 /MountDir:D:\images\windows2k8R2\w2k8r2_dsim dism /Image:D:\images\windows2k8R2\w2k8r2_dsim /scratchdir:E:\images\scratchdir /Get-Features /Format:Table *dism /Image:D:\images\windows2k8R2\w2k8r2_dsim /scratchdir:E:\images\scratchdir /Disable-Feature /FeatureName:ServerCore-WOW64 dism /Commit-Wim /MountDir:D:\images\windows2k8R2\w2k8r2_dsim /scratchdir:E:\images\scratchdir dism /Unmount-WIM /MountDir:D:\images\windows2k8R\w2k8r2_dsim /scratchdir:E:\images\scratchdir /Commit Command with * can also be execute by command line below, not sure about the difference? dism /Image:D:\images\windows2k8R2\w2k8r2_dsim /scratchdir:E:\images\scratchdir /Disable-Feature:ServerCore-WOW64
April 13th, 2011 8:52am

Hi, Please refer to the following article to disable features in an Offline Windows image: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744506(WS.10).aspx Tim Quan TechNet Subscriber Support in forum If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 15th, 2011 2:08am

Hi, This question is NOT about how to disable features. This question is about why the "Disable Pending" status still exists on features that have been disabled and commited to the wim file. Even after an unmount and new mount of the same wim file.
April 15th, 2011 2:45am

There is nothing to worry here. Some servicing operations have both an offline and an online component, so you won’t see the operation complete until first boot, hence the disable pending. Once the image is deployed, the features that are disabled will not be installed.Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
April 21st, 2011 10:44am

Thanks! I really appreciate that answer as I've been unable to read documentation for the answer and it has bugged me _a lot_ as I want totalt control and knowledge ;)
April 21st, 2011 1:27pm

I have had the time to test this one and as ajh499 said, this information is incorrect Even if: ServerCore-WOW64 | Disable Pending The C:\Windows\SysWow64 and C:\Program Files (x86)\ files and folders get installed. Why would I want them on a native 64-bit only OS and especially as I have the option and possibility to disable it?
April 21st, 2011 8:26pm

There is nothing to worry here. Some servicing operations have both an offline and an online component, so you won’t see the operation complete until first boot, hence the disable pending. Once the image is deployed, the features that are disabled will not be installed. Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support This still doesn't make sense, first boot of what? I've disabled some features of an offline image (eg Purble Place), but when I then install from that image the "Disable Pending" features are still available. Have I missed something? Alex
May 5th, 2011 6:00pm

Any update to this? the entry is updated to inidicate that the Program Files (x86) and Windows\SysWOW64 folder still exists after the operating system is installed and the ServerCore-WOW64 has been set to Disabled as the line indiciates ServerCore-WOW64 | Disable Pending it also does not disappear with time (for example some internal windows service pahsing the files out) as they still appear several days after the image has been applied. Sure the 32-bit support is gone in the OS, but I need the 32-bit sub-system files and folders should also to disappear.
May 9th, 2011 8:59am

Anybody?? What does Disable-Pending even mean in the context of an offline image?
May 16th, 2011 10:34am

With all the Microsoft engineers around here, does nobody know the answer to this? Disabling features must work somehow, but why doesn't it work with the DISM commands given in the first post? Is there another way to disable features? Thanks Alex
June 7th, 2011 3:57am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics